From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DQMH Consortium Toolkits Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Efficient way to use DVR in DQMH modules

Hi,

I need to transfer large streaming data from Hardware DQMH module to Processing DQMH module and to Display DQMH module. The data comes in as one large size data packet, let’s say one data packet is 1500 samples X 8 channels for every 50mS and its continues.
I’m planning to use DVR for transferring the data packet between DQMH modules. Can some one suggest me the efficient(resource and execution speed) way to use the DVR and which would be the better approach;

1. Create and close the DVR for every data packet(every 50ms)

2. One DVR and write the data packet to same DVR (every 50ms), provided data overwritten is taken care.

Thank you

Adarsh

LabVIEW from 2006

CLA from 2014

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(2,515 Views)

I've been looking into using DVRs like this recently; go with Option (1).

Message 2 of 18
(2,492 Views)

Definitely Option #1.

I managed to stream continuous data from a 3,7 MHz DAQ board for multiple channels using this method. It's very efficient, and you don't have to bother with DVR overwrite.

Bonus tip: you can use the Time node in the event structure to know if you are processing data fast enough

That being said, before going that way, I'd try to use a usual broadcast to transfer your data. Depending on the performance of your computer, I think events can handle this amount of data.

Olivier Jourdan

Wovalab founder | DQMH Consortium board member | LinkedIn |

Stop writing your LabVIEW code documentation, use Antidoc!
Message 3 of 18
(2,474 Views)

I guess that it's alright to send the DVRs via plain old broadcasts, right? Seeing as it's only the reference we're sending, we don't need to be concerned about the data copies which the event system creates ?

DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshops (Fab, Steve, Brian and me)
Release Automation Tools for LabVIEW (CI/CD integration with LabVIEW)
HSE Discord Server (Discuss our free and commercial tools and services)
DQMH® (The Future of Team-Based LabVIEW Development)

Message 4 of 18
(2,470 Views)

@joerg.hampel  a écrit :

I guess that it's alright to send the DVRs via plain old broadcasts, right? Seeing as it's only the reference we're sending, we don't need to be concerned about the data copies which the event system creates ?

If creating a broadcast with an array in the first module and registering the second module to listen to the broadcast is not performant enough, it's fine to replace the array with the DVR ref. I'm not aware of any data copy doing that.

The trick of option #1 is to set the value when you create the DVR and retrieve it. When you destroy the DVR, you never have to read or write the value.

Olivier Jourdan

Wovalab founder | DQMH Consortium board member | LinkedIn |

Stop writing your LabVIEW code documentation, use Antidoc!
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(2,455 Views)

Thank you all for your reply! It is really helpful.

The trick of option #1 is to set the value when you create the DVR and retrieve it. When you destroy the DVR, you never have to read or write the value.

this looks like a neat method.

Im interested to know DVR create and destroy time, how does that grow with data size? Has anyone got a chance to examine that ?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(2,448 Views)

It's basically just a pointer, so I imagine it doesn't care at all what size the data is.

Sam Taggart
CLA, CPI, CTD, LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
Read about my thoughts on Software Development at sasworkshops.com/blog
GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(2,435 Views)

Note: if you are going to broadcast DVRs, where you aren't 100% sure someone is listening for them, you might want to put in a guard against a memory leak, such as this code which will prevent more that 10 DVRs existing:

2021-10-07 14_32_55-Untitled 4 Block Diagram _.png

Message 8 of 18
(2,414 Views)

Is the constant allocation/deallocation of memory occurring because DVRs are being constantly created/destroyed going to create a determinism issue?  I am think especially for RT here. 

Or does the DVR have this problem anyway, since it's just a pointer?

Christopher Farmer

Certified LabVIEW Architect and LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
https://wiredinsoftware.com.au

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(2,392 Views)

Hi,

if you want to use DVR's for transferring large data and want to use the same data in multiple places like shown in the image, a simple DVR will not be sufficient.

Only 1st Receiver of DVR will get the data...

With a single DVR a handling of receive acknowledgment is required.

Or each receiver gets its own DVR. But i guess this will result in data copy.

best regards
Thomas

Data Flow.png

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(2,370 Views)