DQMH Consortium Toolkits Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DQMH project with FPGA measurement module

Hello, 

I have started to use DQMH on a project that is about controlling step-motors, controlling magnetizer and reading position encoder using FPGA. 

My idea is to use DQMH. The application will be made of independent modules but they have to communicate asynchronously. 

My question is...is the DQMH module appropriate choice if one of the modules is FPGA module that is doing RT measurement and controlling HW? Will you advice me to use DQMH or there is other, better way to realize it?

lp

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,504 Views)

Hi AndrazS,

Just to be clear, you can't use DQMH on an FPGA.  I don't think that's what you meant, but wasn't 100% sure!

Having said that, I have been doing a project that is a high speed image acquisition and analysis project, running on an Industrial Controller IC-3120, and the RT application is written in DQMH. 

I have setup a DQMH module to interface directly with the FPGA via the FPGA interface VIs (ie. Read/Write Controls mostly), and in the very same DQMH module acquiring and analysing images from a camera - they are in the same module because I needed them to be tightly coupled and for optimum performance. 

The FPGA is handling a digital trigger input to start the acquisition and analysis process.  The FPGA informs the RT when this trigger is received via an interrupt.  Then the RT module performs image acquisition and analysis. The FPGA is also managing the camera trigger, which needs to be very precise. Then the RT module informs the FPGA (via a Read/Write Control) of the analysis results, so that the FPGA can set a digital output to indicate PASS/FAIL.

The RT DQMH module is doing most of this work in a Helper loop, because the process defined above is running continuously.

So long story short - yes DQMH works fine!

Christopher Farmer

Certified LabVIEW Architect and LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
https://wiredinsoftware.com.au

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,480 Views)

Hey AndrazS,

thanks for considering to use DQMH.

We do use DQMH on RT systems, and we also use DQMH modules to manage FPGA communication. It's a great approach to encapsulate the details of the FPGA part into a module. You can't use DQMH on FPGA itself. 

From my personal experience, nothing speaks against your plans.

Edit: Chris beat me to it. That's what you get for forgetting to hit the "Post" button...

DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshops (Fab, Steve, Brian and me)
Release Automation Tools for LabVIEW (CI/CD integration with LabVIEW)
HSE Discord Server (Discuss our free and commercial tools and services)
DQMH® (The Future of Team-Based LabVIEW Development)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,469 Views)

Thank you very much for reply. 

I didn't mean that I will like to program FPGA code with DQMH. I was thinking exactly as you described bellow, so that I have some FPGA code running somewhere in my HW and then I'm just asking FPGA with I/O nodes for some data in my top level application. Application will be programmed in DQMH and some of its modules will like to access FPGA data.

Do you have any simple example of your project? Sounds exactly what i'm looking for...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,466 Views)

Thank you for idea. 

So when using DQMH... If I want to continuously reading data from FPGA RIO for example, I have to implement reading in DQMH Helper Loop? So the FPGA Read/Write Controls are called in Helper Loop? 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,396 Views)

Yes!

Christopher Farmer

DQMH Trusted Advisor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,391 Views)

Thank you. Is there any example project DQMH that uses FPGA as described?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,332 Views)

Sorry AndrasZ - I don't have any examples I could share (without customer specific logic) right now.

It would be nice to try and create some sample code for these sorts of things, but it might be a while before I can get to that.

It might be worth your while seeking help from a DQMH Trusted Advisor.  Several DQMH Trusted Advisors offer training that can be tailored to your application.  Go to dqmh.org for more information.

Christopher Farmer

DQMH Trusted Advisor

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,330 Views)