From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DQMH Consortium Toolkits Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DQMH Template Collection

Dear DQMH Fans,

in the farthest corner of my mind I wonder why I can’t find a lot of DQMH templates out there. I’ve found some and I thought it would be worth to start a collection of DQMH Templates.

Aren’t a lot of requirements the same? Shouldn’t we share more the results of our work? DQMH is a framework with lots of benefits. But imagine a DQMH Library with functionality. Go to VI Package Manager and download a Timer Module, a Logging Module or ….. a Configuration Module? Wouldn’t that be great? May be in some time…. Or are our requirements too specific to be solved with generic templates? What do you think?

HAMPEL SOFTWARE ENGINEERING's modified templates for DQMH framework

• HSE Application Template

Features dynamic loading of DQMH modules, User Interface module for managing runtime menus, subpanels etc., and much more

• HSE Generic Networking Singleton Module

Ever wanted to use the API of a DQMH module in an application when the module is actually running in another application on another device, connected via network? Now you can. The DQMH Generic Networking Module is a DQMH Singleton module altered to allow for (near) zero-coupled networking functionality

• HSE Real-Time Singleton Module

MGI Panel Manager

MGI Panel Manager supports complex user interfaces by abstracting away where a front panel is going to be displayed from how it is implemented. This means that a developer writes a user interface that implements the "Panel" interface and then the user of that interface specifies the concrete type of panel to use.

Installing the “MGI Panel Manager - DQMH Panels” package will add two new templates when creating modules. These templates implement the Panel interface. Download the MGI Panel Manager from the NI Tools Network. Search for “MGI Panel” in VIPM

Proud developer at Hampel Software Engineering where we turn '404 not found' into '200 OK'. Join us on Discord
Message 1 of 14
(5,253 Views)

Yes! Exactly the reason we started opening our repos to the public. The caveat here is that it's exponentially more work to tidy, document and maintain code for third parties. We're way behind of what I'd like our repos and documentation to be. 

There are ideas and plans to make community code more readily available (as in finding it, and then using it, and even collaborating on it), not specifically for DQHM, but for LabVIEW in general. Until then, the LabVIEW Wiki might be the right place to start collecting the various offerings out there: https://labviewwiki.org/wiki/Delacor_Queued_Message_Handler_(DQMH)

I recently created a landing page for our public / open-source offerings:

http://code.hampel-soft.com/

I'd love to hear feedback (and even more I'd love to see merge requests 😛 )

DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshops (Fab, Steve, Brian and me)
Release Automation Tools for LabVIEW (CI/CD integration with LabVIEW)
HSE Discord Server (Discuss our free and commercial tools and services)
DQMH® (The Future of Team-Based LabVIEW Development)

Message 2 of 14
(5,242 Views)

Probably you're right, that the wiki would be a better place for maintaining a list of link collection because every provider of a template can add his information directly there and there is no need of a moderator. I've not tried to edit a page there, so I don't know that for shure.

Until now my struggle with LabView is mainly about architecture, design, best practices and so on. It has only been little cases where I was having a hard time to solve professional problems. Professional might not be the correct term, may be technical? In german I would say "fachlich". What I mean: I'm mainly faced with problems I have as a developer rather than the problems my users have doing their job.

But to become more efficent in my job I should focus more on solving my users problems, than solving my developers problems. I feel that it may be similiar with a lot of LabView developers out there. May be, and I hope so, my feeling ist wrong.

Regulary while browsing I find solutions in forums, groups or companies and I wonder why I didn't know them. Why didn't I found that before in VIPM? VIPM is THE place, where I start searching for a solution for a, what I call, developer's problem solution. But it turns out, that you can only find a very small percentage there. Most is hidden somewhere... I really like forums and how everyone in the community helps each other. But I think some more centralized locations with well documented and rock solid templates would really help a lot of LV developers out there.

So currently I am working on a Template for a Config Module and I want to share that with you in the next days. It will cost me a lot of time to describe everything, make screenshots etc. As you mentioned that is more work for third parties than I would do normally. But I think in longterm we can benefit from that. Together we can make solutions better, learn from each other and minimize the effort to solve a problem, which another LV developer has already solved, to focus on what is really important: How can we make our users happier?

Proud developer at Hampel Software Engineering where we turn '404 not found' into '200 OK'. Join us on Discord
Message 3 of 14
(5,226 Views)

@AlexElb  a écrit :

So currently I am working on a Template for a Config Module and I want to share that with you in the next days. It will cost me a lot of time to describe everything, make screenshots etc. As you mentioned that is more work for third parties than I would do normally. But I think in longterm we can benefit from that. Together we can make solutions better, learn from each other and minimize the effort to solve a problem, which another LV developer has already solved, to focus on what is really important: How can we make our users happier?

Amen to that!

@AlexElb  a écrit :

Regulary while browsing I find solutions in forums, groups or companies and I wonder why I didn't know them. Why didn't I found that before in VIPM? VIPM is THE place, where I start searching for a solution for a, what I call, developer's problem solution. But it turns out, that you can only find a very small percentage there. Most is hidden somewhere... I really like forums and how everyone in the community helps each other. But I think some more centralized locations with well documented and rock solid templates would really help a lot of LV developers out there.

Don't forget the LAVA repository, some of the stuff available there is not on the LVTN (what you call VIPM, but VIPM is the tool that give you access to LVTN). There was a discussion on LAVAg.org about creating creating another source for LVTN that would be LAVA something but I don't think it will ever happen.

I've started using DQMH only recently, and one thing I thought I might do as a night-shift project is a scripting tools that would generate documentation for all the requests and broadcast of a module. Would that be useful for anyone?

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

Message 4 of 14
(5,172 Views)

@TiTou wrote:

what you call VIPM, but VIPM is the tool that give you access to LVTN

If we're being really pedantic here, the platform is now called "NI Tools Network" (even though the URL on the website is still http://www.ni.com/labview-tools-network/)  Smiley Tongue Smiley Wink

@TiTou wrote:
one thing I thought I might do as a night-shift project is a scripting tools that would generate documentation for all the requests and broadcast of a module. Would that be useful for anyone?

It would! We've started a tool that pulls information from different LabVIEW files (VIs, lvlibs, ...) ages ago for a different framework, and plan on picking up working on it again to make it compatible to DQMH in autumn or winter.

Message 5 of 14
(5,165 Views)

Not a template itself, but a nice tool that enhances DQMH is the Zuehlke Project explorer menu for DQMH. It allows you to right-click on the module on the project explorer and create the event from there.

Zuehlke tool is available at  https://forums.ni.com/t5/Delacor-Toolkits-Discussions/Zuehlke-Project-explorer-menu-for-DQMH/m-p/380...

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
Message 6 of 14
(5,148 Views)

@TiTou wrote:
one thing I thought I might do as a night-shift project is a scripting tools that would generate documentation for all the requests and broadcast of a module. Would that be useful for anyone?

It would! We've started a tool that pulls information from different LabVIEW files (VIs, lvlibs, ...) ages ago for a different framework, and plan on picking up working on it again to make it compatible to DQMH in autumn or winter.

Hi there

I'm just back to the office after 2 weeks of vacation (vacation without any computer in hands) and I've been thinking about that kind of tool.

Just a quick summary of my idea :

1. List the modules with description and type (singleton or cloneable)
  2. For each Module
    1. List public request / Request and reply with description
    2. List public broadcast event with description
    3. List registered broadcast event with links to the module that owns the broadcast

The idea for me was to generate a text file using asciidoc format to allow CI integration and multiple output format.

It seems that there is something to do together here...

@joerg.hampel why not discuss that during GDevCon ? @TiTou will you be there ?

PS: at the end having a graphical representation of modules and link communication would be great...

Olivier Jourdan

Wovalab founder | DQMH Consortium board member | LinkedIn |

Stop writing your LabVIEW code documentation, use Antidoc!
Message 7 of 14
(5,089 Views)

@Olivier-JOURDAN  a écrit :

@TiTou will you be there ?

Nope, even though the cost of travelling to the UK has dropped I won't be able to make it Smiley Indifferent

Just a quick summary of my idea :

1. List the modules with description and type (singleton or cloneable)
  2. For each Module
    1. List public request / Request and reply with description
    2. List public broadcast event with description
    3. List registered broadcast event with links to the module that owns the broadcast

I had something a bit more basic in mind to start with : for a selected module, generating the list of requests/broacast with their documentation. But I guess that's just a subset of what you're describing.

I have a lot of personal time until the end of August and not much after that.

I'd love to collaborate on creating this.

I was going to go for html export, I had never heard of AsciiDoc, it looks cool and it exports to html.

PS: at the end having a graphical representation of modules and link communication would be great...

Yeah... though of that, I dreamed of integrating into OpenGDS but that might be a step to take once we have to core features up and running.

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(5,078 Views)

I am also interested in contributing to this.

Sam Taggart
CLA, CPI, CTD, LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
Read about my thoughts on Software Development at sasworkshops.com/blog
GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(4,990 Views)

GDevCon seems a good place to kickstart this 👍🏻

Message 10 of 14
(4,984 Views)