From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DQMH Consortium Toolkits Feature Requests

Labels
Top Authors
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Darren

Return a Validate Module failure if VI Reference output of Start Asynchronous Call in cloneable Start Module.vi is wired

Issue #745 created

Prior to DQMH 5, I would sometimes see developers add a VI reference output from Start Module.vi to the cloneable Main VI instance that was running:

vi_ref_output.png

This was sometimes convenient for the calling code, like in cases where you needed to insert the cloneable main VI instance into a subpanel or something like that. Unfortunately, you cannot use the same approach with Start Asynchronous Call in DQMH 5.0 and later. The VI Reference output from Start Asynchronous Call cannot be used for similar purposes. So you can't output the VI reference that was used to start the async call and expect your code to work the same. Instead, you'll likely want to create a request to the module that will use the "This VI" constant within the main VI instance itself to perform whatever operation needs to be done on the main VI instance. 

I propose there be a new DQMH Validate Module test that detects cases where the VI Reference output of the Start Asynchronous Call function is wired:

vi_ref_output2.png

2 Comments
mbaudot
Active Participant
Status changed to: Development Started

Matthias Baudot | Software Architect | Founder at STUDIO BODs

STUDIO BODs     BLT for LabVIEW     LabVIEW Champion     Certified Professional Instructor     DQMH Trusted Advisor     GCentral Sponsor

Check out my LabVIEW presentations and videos!

mbaudot
Active Participant
Status changed to: Released

Issue #745 created

Matthias Baudot | Software Architect | Founder at STUDIO BODs

STUDIO BODs     BLT for LabVIEW     LabVIEW Champion     Certified Professional Instructor     DQMH Trusted Advisor     GCentral Sponsor

Check out my LabVIEW presentations and videos!