DQMH Consortium Toolkits Feature Requests

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ngblume

Incorporate clientside time-out infos into requests when using request and wait for reply pattern

You can add a Timeout into the Arguments and take it from there, or if you want to handle this in the EHL, you can use the "Time" item from the event data node to get the time the request has been sent.

When using the Request and Wait for Reply pattern, the time-out happens locally (with a usually hard-coded default-value).

The module receiving the message has no idea of the time-out on the client side (timeout meaning: When did I send the message to the module?, When do I not care about an answer anymore?).

I suggest incorporating such info (i.e. "Timeout End Timestamp") into the request message automatically, so that the module can do sanity checks before processing the request (i.e. "Time-out occured already, so I'm not executing the request at all, since the caller doesn't care anymore").

Furthermore, I think it is helpful, if you can choose during creation of a "Request and Wait for Reply" event with the wizard, if the time-out should be exposed or the default constant should be used, bringing this decision to the attention of the developer.

Thanks !

Cheers

Niels

2 Comments
Olivier-JOURDAN
Active Participant
Status changed to: Declined

You can add a Timeout into the Arguments and take it from there, or if you want to handle this in the EHL, you can use the "Time" item from the event data node to get the time the request has been sent.

Olivier Jourdan

Wovalab founder | DQMH Consortium board member | LinkedIn |

Stop writing your LabVIEW code documentation, use Antidoc!
ngblume

Thanks for the pointer towards ""Time" item from the event data node"..

Never knew that such a thing exist...

The other idea is more important, and got accepted...

Thanks !

Cheers

Niels