From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only 5 worker objects in DIAdem 2018?

Hi everyone,

As I mentioned in my previous post, we just got the latest 2018 version of DIAdem.

In one of my scripts I assign computational tasks to multiple worker objects, in some cases up to 15 worker objects simultaneously.

However, in the 2018 version I get an error after setting the 5th worker object. I checked the release notes and noticed that only a worker objects count up to 5 is possible.

Is this really the case or am I missing something? In my opinion this would be a huge step back from 2017 where I could define as many worker objects as I wanted (only limited by CPU power of course).

Message 1 of 3
(2,969 Views)

Hi David_Frey,

Yes, you are right. With DIAdem 2018 DIAdem supports 5 workers. For bigger applications which processes many tasks in parallel we developed a new product, the Analysis-Sever. The Analysis-Sever provides the infrastructure to manage and run tasks as a service directly on the file server. With only small changes you can run your DIAdem scripts on the Analysis-Server.

Greetings

Walter

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,902 Views)

Hi Ian,

This sounds like 2 separate questions wrapped in one Discussion Forum post.  It is true that DIAdem 2018 restricts the number of workers available.  The number 5 you mentioned sounds about right, but I haven't tried to verify that new maximum number-- let me know if this is important to you.  The reason is that we expect customers wanting highly parallel processing to use the Analysis Server, which brings us to your second question.

The main changes you need to make in the VBScript code currently running in each worker is in how the data is loaded into the (invisible) Data Portal of that worker.  Each Analysis Server worker is automatically passed a datalink object which it can use to load the specified data file.  The Analysis Server also manages all the synchronization, parameterization and spawning of the workers, so you can remove that part of your code.

The place to get started with this is in the DIAdem SCRIPT panel.  Choose the menu "Settings>>TDM Server>>Analysis Server Procedure..." in order to launch a dialog which guides you through establishing the code and linking the resource files needed in your Analysis Server task.  You can click on the "Analysis Script" icon at the top right and then double-click on the "Main.vbsa" node to view the default VBScript in the DIAdem SCRIPT editor.  This will show you how to use the datalink object, and this is where you can paste your existing VBScript code for each worker.  Note that you can simulate Analysis Server execution to test your code right there in the dialog, before saving your project to an *.anp file and uploading it to the Analysis Server for deployment.

Brad Turpin

DIAdem Product Support Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,728 Views)