From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview flattened data file to Dieadem file format converstion

For years I have been using a cluster with a 2D string array for header information and a 2D I16 array for data and then flattening into a string in Labview for my data file. Simply put this allows me to have one file for each test instead of two, Diadem uses a *.dat file for header information and a R64 binary file for data.

Now the issue is to continue using my current file format and somehow have Diadem Import my file. It was suggested to me to create a DLL for this purpose but I have no experience creating DLL�s.

Also I thought my file format was a good idea because I could easily index header information, save on file size vs an ASCII file. Is there a reason to have two files for each test instead
of one?

Thanks
Kevin
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,440 Views)
Hi Kevin,

In DIAdem we are using the separation between header and data because this gives use more flexibility. You need only one header file (with a simple structure) to describe how the data information is stored. And this data information supports different binary types like real, double, integer and ASCII and its combinations. Especial for large files this is reducing the disk space enormously. So we decided in the past to support this kind of data structure.
By the way, if you want to analyse data which are not stored in the DIAdem file format (like data logger files) often you just need to generate the DIAdem header file to import them - and it is very easy for the manufacturer to create this file additionally to his binary files.
With the LabVIEW-DIAdem-Con
nectivity-VI's (link: http://digital.ni.com/softlib.nsf/websearch/A2AD1D0C68740D7C86256C55004E4E58?opendocument) you are able to use this file format very easily.

But if you would like to use your own file format and the file type is ASCII than you can use the DIAdem ASCII import coming with a wizard to load the file. And if your file structure every time is the same you have can create a description file which allows you to load these files directly.

I hope this will help you.

Greetings

Walter Rick
Message 2 of 2
(3,440 Views)