From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to open famos (.dat) files on Diadem?

Solved!
Go to solution

In my application here I´m using a data logger Kvaser Memorator Professional Tool for logging can signals using the software Kvaser Memorator Professional Setup Tool. When extracting the files logged in the card of the eqquipent, i have the following options for extensions:

- Selected signals in CSV format

- Selected signals in Matlab format for ATI Vision

- Selected signals in MDF format for Vector CANAnalyzer

- Vector ASCII (.asc)

- CAN frames in CSV format

- CAN frames in plain text format

- Famos (.dat)

- Vector MDF (.log)

- Vector ASCII J1587 (.asc)

- Kvaser binary format (KME 2.4) - used for vector cananalyzer

- Kvaser binary format (KME 2.5)

- Kvaser binary format (KME 4.0)

What I want to do is to open the file in any of these extensions above using the Diadem 2011. Which is the recommended extension for my application? Is there any plugin i have to install on my computer? If son, which plugin and where to install it?

Thank you so much!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(7,276 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Maurício

Hi,

our suggestion is to use MDF file format (*.mdf, *.dat). You will need to install the following DataPlugin: MDF DataPlugin.

You can find a short description on how to install this DataPlugin here.

Please let me know if this does not work for you.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(7,269 Views)

Hi Maurício -

For your future reference and for the information of everyone who comes across this post in the future:

We host all of our DataPlugins on our website at ni.com/dataplugins.  There are hundreds of file formats supported through the available DataPlugins, and there is also a link on that site where you can request a DataPlugin be written for file formats that aren't currently supported (such as custom *.CSV files).

Derrick S.
Product Manager
NI DIAdem
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(7,260 Views)

Hi!

I just tried what you suggested me and it worked just fine.

Thank you for your support.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(7,229 Views)

Thank you Derrick. I just entered the website you suggested me and I found it really useful.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(7,228 Views)

This is useful for opening files in DIAdem but what about saving FAMOS *.dat files? The plugin (http://www.ni.com/example/28215/en/) I found does not allow option to save...

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,830 Views)

Hi BG103,

Most DataPlugins are Read Only.  You can make your DataPlugin requests at the "www.ni.com/dataplugins" web page.  There have been cases where customers have requested, and R&D has complied, that a Read Only DataPlugin be expanded/rewritten so that it can also write the file format.  If the DataPlugin was not originally a C++ DataPlugin, then it has to be converted to a C++ DataPlugin, since that is the only type that can both read and write data files.  In any case, it's always harder to write a file format (that all the other relevant 3rd party readers accept) than it is to just read the files into NI software.

Brad Turpin

DIAdem Product Support Engineer

National Instruments

Brad Turpin

DIAdem Product Support Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,593 Views)