DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to concatenate TDM files in DiaDem

Solved!
Go to solution

I've seen the post on how to concatenate CSV files on DiaDem ... but how do you concatenate TDM files together?

I'm surprised this functionality isn't embedded into the software as it is a fairly common task, and the script is likely beyond most user's ability to maintain.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(8,765 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Colin Jones

Hello Colin,

There are several examples you can use to concatenate data channels in DIAdem.

This one is from the Website:

http://sine.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/3870

Another good example is included in DIAdem and accessible from the Help > Examples menu. From there, drill down to the folder: "Examples > Creating Scripts > Scripts > Appending Channels to Each Other"

Between these two examples we should hopefully take care of your question.

Best regards,

Otmar

Otmar D. Foehner
Message 2 of 17
(8,756 Views)

I am trying to concatenate 4 large tdms files, each of them around 500MB. The example seems to work fine but for anyone who is not familiar with VBScipt is kinda difficult to modify the existing example into skipping the import file subroutine and choose your own files. Is there any version that prompts you with a dialog box?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(8,352 Views)

Hi Saloutios,

With TDMS data files that large you might consider the DOS method of concatenating them, which can also be automated from LabVIEW or VBScript:

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=60&message.id=11813&requireLogin=False

Regarding the concatenation script listed on the web, I'm not sure what you want to have different.  You say that you want to modify the script to skip the import routine, but then you ask for a file dialog, which is actually in that script.  All you need to do is change 2 constants-- the DataPlugin name and the file extension(s) to show in the file dialog.

Brad Turpin

DIAdem Product Support Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(8,331 Views)

Hi Brad,

Maybe I didnt explain myself that well, my fault. The case is:

•  As a result of acquired data post analysis with LabVIEW, I am logging into TDMS files 1.7GB of data. It's a file of 15 columns (properties) each of 1,080,000 rows ( properties values).
  • If I decide saving all the data into one file ( resulting into a 1.7GB file), DIAdem cannot load it into Data Portal. The program gets frozen even after waiting for 30mins.
  • If I save the data into multiple files (i.e like I tried last time in 3 files of around 500MB and one around 270MB) the 3 first files are loaded into data portal but when the loading of the 270MB is under way, DIAdem gives me an indexing error (sorry cant recall right now what is says exactly).
  • In the case of saving into multiple files, apparently I want to concatenate the TDMS file channels so I can i.e graph plots for the whole duration of my test.  A reappending VBScipt you kindly provided me, works fine with any file I used that was not as massive as the ones I am dealing now. When I am using it with the above mentioned files, in the end I just get a time channel and none of the channels in my TDMS files.  
  • Using a VBScipt that requires that I load my data into Data Portal before running it, it's simply impossible as DIAdem stalls as I mentioned above.

Sorry, I havent been using scipting before so I might be missing something here. As it goes for those changes you suggested. i will give it a  try but could you please confirm which scipt we are talking about now exactly? As for concatenate files, the code Herbert provided in that thread is great but it does nor address exactly my problem.

Thanks,

Panos

Message Edited by Saloutios on 06-14-2010 04:27 AM
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(8,318 Views)

Meanwhile, I modified the 2 constants to the scipt so it will load TDMS files instead of CSV. This is the error I get while it is loading the 270MB file ( the last out of the 4 files I am loading).

errorDiadem.JPG

And this is the line of the error: 

errorDiadem2LINE.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(8,309 Views)

This is the error I get when I am trying to load from the Navigator a tdms file of around 900mb.

errorDiadem3.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(8,289 Views)

Hello Saloutios,

I was wondering if you could upload the file you are having trouble with to out ftp site. You can upload it to ftp://ftp.ni.com/incoming. This way I can take a look at it and see if I can reproduce the problem. When you upload it to the ftp put it in a folder with your name, Saloutios, and post back so I can know when it is up. I was also wondering what version of Diadem you are using? Also what operating system, which service pack and your processor? Look forward to hearing from you and have a great day!

Best Regards,

Adam G 

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(8,249 Views)

Hi Adam,

Done, I have uploaded the files and the specs you required. 

Thank you very much

Panos

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(8,245 Views)

Hello Saloutios,

I took a look at your files and was able to get the last file, the 270 MB, file to open up in the Diadem Data Portal. I did run into a problem the first time but once I removed the index file I was able to load the file. I would suggest trying that and then try and open the file. Another possibility is that the last file is corrupted so you might be able to recreate the file and then try again. Let me know if this works out for you and have a great day!

Best Regards,

Adam G

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(8,226 Views)