DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I use Y axis text values

Instead of having numbers running up the y axis I want to use text values out of a data channel (string).

How do I do this in a Report X/Y graph in diadem 11.0

jim k.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,813 Views)

Hello Jim,

I just tried this in DIAdem 11 and it is very easy to do this. Simply drag the X and Y channels into an axis system in REPORT (this does not work in VIEW) with the Y- axis being a text channel. (I attached an example TDM data file and a JPEG of the report as well as the REPORT template).

Please let me know if that worked for you.

Message Edited by Otmar on 12-05-2008 02:44 PM
Otmar D. Foehner
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,809 Views)

Sorry that didn't work for me.

The y axis has numeric values on it.

Can you provide a little more detail?

jim k.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,799 Views)

Never mind, my bad.  I added your data set to some of my own and the group index didn't match in the report template.

Going back to my diadem 8 days there was a way of formatting the y axis numbers by pointing to a text file that had the labels. 

Later in diadem 9 brad showed me a way to use data in text channels in a similar way. 

This is the kind of explanation I am searching for.

jim k.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,795 Views)

Hi Jim,

In DIAdem version 11 we added the ability to use Text channels as "data" channels for the X and Y-axis. There are no more special "tricks" required to do this.

All you have to do is to make sure that your channel is a "Text" Channel, which you can see in the DataPortal by looking at the channel properties and checking the "Display Format" property. In the data file I made available to you, that is the case for the channel called "X-channel" (I used it as the Y-channel in the report, so don't let the channel name mislead you).

If you look at the JPEG, does that reflect in theory what you are looking for? 

Otmar D. Foehner
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,791 Views)

Your jpg and what was done with your tdr does reflect what I am trying to do.

It seems appropriate when you are plotting only one x/y set but I have several x/y sets which I want to plot and have share y axis text labels.

Trying to achieve that by just adding an x/y pair with y axis text values does not seem to work for me.

That is why I was thinking about compelling the y axis, via the number format trick, to only express text values irrespective of what the other data sets numeric y values are.

jim k.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,784 Views)

Jim,

We can do this, but it will require a little more clarification on what your data looks like and some other variables that influence the behaviour of the Y-axis.

The easiest way to do this is to get in touch with Brad directly, and provide him with some sample data sets and set this up.

Brad can be reached at    brad.turpin AT ni.com, feel free to email him and he will help you out.

Otmar D. Foehner
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,771 Views)

@Otmar wrote:

Hi Jim,

In DIAdem version 11 we added the ability to use Text channels as "data" channels for the X and Y-axis. There are no more special "tricks" required to do this.

All you have to do is to make sure that your channel is a "Text" Channel, which you can see in the DataPortal by looking at the channel properties and checking the "Display Format" property. In the data file I made available to you, that is the case for the channel called "X-channel" (I used it as the Y-channel in the report, so don't let the channel name mislead you).

@Otmar wrote:

Hi Jim,

@Otmar wrote:

Hi Jim,

Hi Otmar,

I am trying to plot one String Channel and I have done the same you said, but my problem is, that I have only two text Values and they are continuosly repeating during the interval. I would like plot something like this ( TargetPlot.PNG ) instead of (DIAdemPlot.PNG).

Would it be possible to do it?

Thank you in advance.

Raquel

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,189 Views)

Hi Jim,

For that use case I'd recommend using an Assignment Channel for your Y values.

Brad Turpin

DIAdem Product Support Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,120 Views)