From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel Paste Crash DIAdem

We have had a few others have issues, but with data sets that have +100,000 cells of data. For the most part it seems to be my computer, I can do some testing on another computer too. 

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 26
(1,942 Views)

Is there a number of cells below which the issue does not occur? Or will it occur for even small numbers of cells?

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 26
(1,936 Views)

i have had it happen with small (10s of cells) and large (+1000s of cells) sets of data.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 26
(1,929 Views)

Do you have any results on the testing you did on other computers?

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 26
(1,916 Views)

I was not able to get either of my machines to crash during a copy paste operation during my recent work.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 26
(1,905 Views)

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the update, I'm glad to hear the issue isn't reproducing on your other computers.

I just tried reproducing the behavior (copy cells from a VIEW channel table, copy plots from REPORT) and I don't see any in behavior like what you're describing. I'm using DIAdem 2018 64-bit, but like Brad said, this isn't a known issue that was explicitly fixed in 2018.

Can you clarify which is the last command when DIAdem crashes? Is it when you copy something from DIAdem (multiple cells, a plot), or when you paste it in the external application?

It looks like there are a few workarounds at this point. Do either of these work for you for the time being?

• Use the right-click context menu to copy
  • Use Brad's previous code to prevent crashing

Best,

Chris D. | Applications Engineer | National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 26
(1,893 Views)

The paste operation into an external application is what triggers the crash of DIAdem. 

We will be switching to DIAdem 2018 64-bit within a few weeks.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 26
(1,891 Views)

Hi Brian,

It sounds like your computer is the only one seeing the behavior, so we wouldn't be able to tell if the upgrade to 2018 64-bit would fix it. As Brad mentioned, this isn't a known issue so please keep us updated on your progress! We'd love to know how things are going.

Best,

Chris D. | Applications Engineer | National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 26
(1,887 Views)

Brad,

I encountered a very similar error to the one listed here in DIAdem 2019 SP1, reproducible using the same "Generate Data" script as one I sent you for another issue in REPORT. Bug #1079879

I've been able to crash DIAdem 2019 SP1 at will across a few machines by producing/loading a "large" dataset and copying 1 or more channels, then pasting external to DIAdem.

The important part is the pasting externally.  Copying data works fine, as does pasting that data to a DIAdem instance (either the current or a different instance).  A few seconds after the data is pasted in a non-DIAdem application (Notepad++, Excel) DIAdem crashes (generally without any error message whatsoever).

I attached the "Generate Data" code from before with the REPORT bit commented out and with your DataBlClpCopy statement at the end (although our users tend to use Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V from channels).  Simply run the code, and paste into another application to replicate the crash.

A few quirks i've noticed:

• It doesn't seem to matter if you add a new channel with just a few values and only try to copy that channel - having all the other data loaded makes it crash all the same.
  • Copying and Pasting values from a VIEW table also crashes.  You can do a few values at a time, but the number seems to vary.

FYI, saving the produced dataset and loading it with BulkDataLoadingMode=eBulkDataLoadingOnWriteAccess (something you suggested for the other issue) appears to make no difference here.

This one is a much nastier issue because users "Copy-Paste" out of DIAdem a *lot*...Any workarounds would be appreciated!

Thanks!

-Josh

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 26
(1,665 Views)

Hi,

I have what appears to be the same issue with pasting data from Diadem to excel - I get crashes with both Diadem 2018 and Diadem 2020.  In my case, I am am calling many scripts in sequence to process data.  The last one of these scripts creates an excel file and writes data to it.  It almost always crashes Diadem.  If, however, I just run this script alone, Diadem does not crash....

Thomas

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 26
(1,640 Views)