From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display average of X samples

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi.

I'm using Diadem to display a value at a specific data point, using this:

Flow [lpm]:
@@str(Data.Root.ChannelGroups.Item(3).Channels.Item("Flow1").Values(Pno(Data.Root.ChannelGroups(3).Channels("Time\ai0"),5)),"AutoAdj")@@
@@str(Data.Root.ChannelGroups.Item(3).Channels.Item("Flow1").Values(Pno(Data.Root.ChannelGroups(3).Channels("Time\ai0"),15)),"AutoAdj")@@
@@str(Data.Root.ChannelGroups.Item(3).Channels.Item("Flow1").Values(Pno(Data.Root.ChannelGroups(3).Channels("Time\ai0"),25)),"AutoAdj")@@
@@str(Data.Root.ChannelGroups.Item(3).Channels.Item("Flow1").Values(Pno(Data.Root.ChannelGroups(3).Channels("Time\ai0"),35)),"AutoAdj")@@
@@str(Data.Root.ChannelGroups.Item(3).Channels.Item("Flow1").Values(Pno(Data.Root.ChannelGroups(3).Channels("Time\ai0"),45)),"AutoAdj")@@
@@str(Data.Root.ChannelGroups.Item(3).Channels.Item("Flow1").Values(Pno(Data.Root.ChannelGroups(3).Channels("Time\ai0"),55)),"AutoAdj")@@
@@str(Data.Root.ChannelGroups.Item(3).Channels.Item("Flow1").Values(Pno(Data.Root.ChannelGroups(3).Channels("Time\ai0"),65)),"AutoAdj")@@
@@str(Data.Root.ChannelGroups.Item(3).Channels.Item("Flow1").Values(Pno(Data.Root.ChannelGroups(3).Channels("Time\ai0"),75)),"AutoAdj")@@
@@str(Data.Root.ChannelGroups.Item(3).Channels.Item("Flow1").Values(Pno(Data.Root.ChannelGroups(3).Channels("Time\ai0"),85)),"AutoAdj")@@
@@str(Data.Root.ChannelGroups.Item(3).Channels.Item("Flow1").Values(Pno(Data.Root.ChannelGroups(3).Channels("Time\ai0"),95)),"AutoAdj")@@
@@str(Data.Root.ChannelGroups.Item(3).Channels.Item("Flow1").Values(Pno(Data.Root.ChannelGroups(3).Channels("Time\ai0"),105)),"AutoAdj")@@

But I would like to see the average of 120 data points/ samples at the 5, 15, 25, etc marker.

Can anyone please help me here 🙂

Brian

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,244 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Bandresen

Here is a chunk of code I used for that.  

'-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'-- VBS script file
'-- Created on 09/28/2017 13:00:56
'-- Author: G
'-- Comment: Function to average a few data points in a channel with N data points distance among averages
'-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Option Explicit  'Forces the explicit declaration of all the variables in a script.

DIM SUB_NAME

' AVERAGE POINTS N POINTS APART
' ARG 1: Input channel for calculating average values
' ARG 2: Name for the output channel
' ARG 3: Name for the output group
' ARG 4: Distance (in data points) between each two calculated averages
' ARG 5: Number of data points to average
' RETURN: Writes an output channel to the output group with averaged values
'         taken in even separation in the input channel
' NOTES: Output group will be created if needed.  Make sure input channel is long enough
Function avgEveryNpts(inputChannel, outputChannelName, outputGroupName, numOfPtsApart, numOfPtsToAvg)
  SUB_NAME = "avgEveryNpts" & ": "
  Call LogFileWrite(SUB_NAME & "Started exeution")
  ' START
  On Error Resume Next ' Ignore Errors
  Call LogFileWrite(SUB_NAME & inputChannel.Properties("Name").Value & " Size: " & inputChannel.Properties("length").Value) ' Check if input channel argument is not a channel
  If Not Err.Number <> 0 Then ' If input channel arg is of channel object type
    Dim output, inChannelSize, outGroup, i, j, sum, outCounter
    i = 1
    If Not Data.Root.ChannelGroups.Exists(outputGroupName) Then ' Add the outgroup if doesn't exist
      Call Data.Root.ChannelGroups.Add(outputGroupName)
    End If
    Set outGroup = Data.Root.ChannelGroups(outputGroupName)
    Call outGroup.Channels.Add(outputChannelName, DataTypeChnFloat64)
    Set output = outGroup.Channels(outputChannelName)
    inChannelSize  = inputChannel.Properties("length").Value
    If numOfPtsApart >= (numOfPtsToAvg * 2) Then ' Check appropriate numeric arguments followed by type checking
      If TypeName(outputChannelName) = "String" And TypeName(outputGroupName) = "String" And (TypeName(numOfPtsApart) = "Integer" Or TypeName(numOfPtsApart) = "Long") And (TypeName(numOfPtsToAvg) = "Integer" Or TypeName(numOfPtsToAvg) = "Long") Then
        If numOfPtsApart > 0 And numOfPtsToAvg > 0 Then
          If inChannelSize > numOfPtsApart Then
            outCounter = 1
            Do While TRUE ' Endlessly loop
              sum = 0
              If i > inChannelSize Or i = inChannelSize Or (i + numOfPtsApart) > inChannelSize Then ' If it is the last value to calculate
                For j = inChannelSize To inChannelSize - numOfPtsToAvg + 1 Step - 1
                  sum = sum + inputChannel.Values(j)
                Next
                Call output.SetValues((sum / numOfPtsToAvg), outCounter, 1, eValueBlockValueOverwrite)
                Exit Do
              ElseIf i = 1 Then ' If it is the first value to calculate
                For j = 1 To numOfPtsToAvg Step 1
                Next
                Call output.SetValues((sum / numOfPtsToAvg), outCounter, 1, eValueBlockValueOverwrite)
              Else ' Any point in the middle
                For j = i - CInt(numOfPtsToAvg / 2) To (i - CInt(numOfPtsToAvg / 2)) + numOfPtsToAvg - 1 Step 1
                Next
              End If
              i = i + numOfPtsApart
              outCounter = outCounter + 1
            Loop
          Else
            Call LogFileWrite(SUB_NAME & "the input channel size is too small for the distance argument (4th arg)... Aborting")
          End If
        Else
          Call LogFileWrite(SUB_NAME & "numerical arguments must be above 0... Aborting")
        End If
      Else
        Call LogFileWrite(SUB_NAME & "argument type wrong. Reqquired: 1-channel, 2-String, 3-String, 4-Integer, 5-Integer... Aborting")
      End If
    Else
      Call LogFileWrite(SUB_NAME & "number of points to average must be at least half the distance between each point... Aborting")
    End If
  Else
    Call LogFileWrite(SUB_NAME & "Input channel argument must be of channel object... Aborting")
  End If
  On Error GoTo 0
  ' END
  Call LogFileWrite(SUB_NAME & "Ended exeution")
End Function

Capture.JPG

Message 2 of 4
(2,215 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Bandresen

Hi Brian,

You could keep those impressive @@expressions if you like, and just point them to a new channel which has been smoothed with ChnSmooth() using a window size (SmoothWidth) of 110.  That would technically show the average of 121 points, but that's pretty close to what you want and also very close to what you have.

Brad Turpin

DIAdem Product Support Engineer

National Instruments

Message 3 of 4
(2,196 Views)

Thank you for the fine solution. I'll look into it when I get more time 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,092 Views)