cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diadem Contour Plot Axis Switch

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am having an issue that I can't seem to figure out how to fix for the life of me. I am currently generating NVH plots for some of our units, and I am trying to mimic a standard plot that is used in another group for a slightly different purpose. However, they are generating their reports in a different software.

Basically my issue is that I want to swap my X and Y axis on my contour plot. But any time I do it for the display, it only displays a very small portion of the data at the bottom of the plot. Now the reason for this makes some sense, basically when I switch which channel is X and Y it tries to plot the Z axis against the wrong values. 

Is there a way to swap my X and Y while keeping their dependencies?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,618 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nevenhouse

Hi Nevenhouse,

Are you using a 3D contour plot in DIAdem with triplet data channels (X, Y, Z) or with matrix data channels (X, Y, Z, Z, Z, Z, Z...)?  In the former case it should work to switch the X and Y channels (Y, X, Z) since the 3D binning is performed at graph (re-)draw time.  In the latter case, you need to use the ANALISIS function "Transpose Matrix", located in the "3D Basic Functions" palette to rework the binning, which is performed once and stored in channels prior to the first graph draw.

Brad Turpin

DIAdem Product Support Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,585 Views)

Hello,

I am using the matrix method (X,Y,Z,Z,Z...), however when I attempted to run the transpose X and Y, it gave me an error. I attached a screen shot of the error as well as the .tdm file that I am attempting to plot. Basically I would like speed to be my X, Frequency to be my Y, and each AmplitudePeak# to be my Z. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,581 Views)

Hello,

I figured out what the issue is. I am generating too many channels (>25,000), it is overloading the data portal. Your solution works if I use a condensed data set.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,576 Views)

Hi Nevenhouse,

The Data Portal in DIAdem 2018 and previous versions has a limit of 65535 channels, so 25,000 channels shouldn't overload it.  You might conceivably be running out of RAM in your computer to store the new data channels.  If so, you could try register-loading the original data instead of loading it normally.

I can definitely say that a 25,000 matrix of 3D data will not display lightning fast and probably contains more resolution than you need.  If you're only interested in one particular part of the matrix, you could run the "Create Submatrix()" function to pull out that subset, prior to transposing.  Or you could use the "Convert Matrix()" function to resample the XY point density to less fine granularity prior to the transpose.

Perhaps what you've found to do, though, is generate the original matrix with fewer channels, which would sidestep the problem.  For example, if you're creating the original 3D matrix with a time interval FFT, the function lets you pick the resulting X and Y bin sizes ahead of time in the dialog.

Brad Turpin

DIAdem Product Support Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,564 Views)