cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diadem 2017 and memory usuage

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I use a Diadem script to load files sequentially into the data portal and process them one by one.  After the processing I save them, clear the data portal and load the next file etc.  Despite clearing the Data Portal, Diadem appears to 'hang on' to the memory with each file incrementing the memory usage as shown here.

DiademMemoryUsuage.PNG

Is there some way I can 'reset' the memory after clearing the data portal?  At the moment I appear to have memory issues if I process many files.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,469 Views)

Can you add some information.

• What files do you load? (Plugin. e.g. TDM, TDMS, CSV)
  • How big are the files?
  • What operations do you use when processing the files?
  • Your picture starts from a very high point and releases to smaller value before raising again. What happened before the decrease of memory?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,450 Views)

Hi Andreas,

• The files are off the type TDM.
  • I use DataFileLoadSel to load 24 channels from each of  10 files. Processing consists of concatenation, finding averages, sorting and creating new channels with summarized and grouped data.  The main commands used are DataFileLoadSel , chnConCat, chnMultipleSortExt and ChnEventFind.

• A processed file has a typical TDM size of about 21000 KB and a tdx size of 101000 KB. 
  • The high memory point was from the previous runs of Diadem.  I need to shut down Diadem to 'release' the memory.

In fact, we are faced with Diadem crashing without warning and we suspect memory issues. 

Thanks for the support.

Thomas

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,435 Views)

UPDATE

The DataFileLoadSel command 'locks' the source folder.  Even when the processing is finished, and I clear the data portal, it is impossible to delete the original data files or their folders until I close Diadem.  At the same time, the memory usage drops back to the normal baseline level.  The command DataFileLoad does not do this.  Expected behavior for DataFileLoadSel?

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,428 Views)

If the files are still locked when portal is cleared something went wrong.
So after data.root.clear all files should be deletable.

Could you please try the following:

Got to: Settings->DIAdem Settings->Navigator->Loading Behavior

Modify "Load bulk data on modification of channel data" to "Always load bulk data"

Maybe it is easier for you to set

BulkDataLoadingMode   = eBulkDataLoadingImmediately
ChnCharacteristicsUpdate= "Automatic"

at the beginning of your script. Does the effect remain?

P.S.: Are you capable to reproduce the behavior that after the file is no longer deletable after data.rot.clear was called and provide a script and files to us? We would be very interested because this is potentially causing your memory issue.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,423 Views)

Hi Andreas,

"Always load bulk data" does not solve the issue.  The files are still locked and the memory usage stays high even when I clear the data portal. 

Another point,  if at this stage, I try to open a new file (script), Diadem immediately crashes with this error message. 

DiademError.PNG

This behavior is repeatable for the memory, file locking and crashing.  I would need approval to share data files with you....

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,421 Views)

UPDATE

Hi Andreas,

Attached are (stripped down) versions of the scripts which I am using.  These create exactly the same issues with the memory etc.  Hope it helps.

Script1 calls script2.

Thanks

Thomas

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,417 Views)

This is the method I came up with and it works pretty well:

Dim File, iCount, Directory

'-- Set Directory Path
Directory = "C:\_Processed Data"

'-- Load All TDM Files from Directory
File = DirListGet(Directory, "*.TDM", "filename", "FullFilenames")

For iCount = LBound(File) To UBound(File)
		Call DataFileLoad(File(iCount))
		'-- Calculations
		Call ChnIntegrate("[1]/Time","[1]/Pelvis RY","[1]/Pelvis Rotation RY","TrapezoidalRule",0,0,0)
		'-- Save and Clear
		Call DataFileSave(Directory&"\"&Data.Root.Name&".TDM","TDM")
		Call Data.Root.Clear()
	Next
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,410 Views)

Hi TamerDTS,

Thanks for the response.  I normally use a method similar to yours and it works ok.  However, if I use DataFileLoadSel instead of DataFileLoad, I get the memory issues described.  I could use DataFileLoad, but then I would load many channels which I do not need and end up with a very large file.

Thanks

Thomas

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,386 Views)

CORRECTION :  Diadem 2015 NOT 2017

Please note that I am using Diadem 2015 sp2, not Diadem 2017 as I have written initially.

Apologies to all.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(3,365 Views)