From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DataFinder with LabVIEW 2019 (My DataFinder, not Server)

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm trying to use the DataFinder VIs under Connectivity > DataFinder in LabVIEW 2019 to search my local DataFinder and get a list of files matching some criteria.

As a quick test, I created the following code:

df2019.png

Here I found that "DataFinder: The connected DataFinder is not supported."

Reading the 2019 LabVIEW Release Notes I see that the DataFinder Toolkit no longer exists and has been replaced by these VIs (in snippet above).

The various release notes and information about DIAdem 2019, 2018, LabVIEW and the DataFinder toolkit haven't lead me to be completely certain, but I'm beginning to be worried that I can't use a local (non-DataFinder Server Edition) DataFinder with LabVIEW. Is this really true?!

If not, is the problem that I'm running 32-bit LabVIEW and the DataFinder is now 64-bit only (if so, why is the LabVIEW 2019 32-bit version showing these VIs?). I previously attempted this with DIAdem 2017 and LabVIEW 2019 but received the same message (and so then upgraded DIAdem, in case version mismatch was the problem).

I hope that this remains possible - please tell me I've missed some crucial detail (like perhaps, I must create a separate local DataFinder with a different name, etc).

Edit: I thought maybe I'd seen the "My DataFinder" was unique when reading somewhere, a reference that's probably still true is found in the 2018 DataFinder Toolkit reference:

My DataFinder and DataFinder Server
You can search for data with the local My DataFinder and also with a DataFinder server. Use My DataFinder to run a search with the local DataFinder on your computer or in the network. The DataFinder index is on your computer. You cannot delete the My DataFinder DataFinder and you cannot create an additional local DataFinder.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,077 Views)
Solution
Accepted by cbutcher

Hello Christian,

I apologize for the late reply.  

This is Chase from National Instruments Japan.  

I'm afraid the answer to you question is that My DataFinder is no longer supported with our new DataFinder Connectivity Toolkit (2019).  The latest version that supported My Datafinder for LabVIEW is DataFinder Toolkit 2018.

Therefore, to continue using My DataFinder, you will have to use DataFinder Toolkit version 2018 or below with its compatible LabVIEW versions. 

I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences we may have caused you from our recent updates.  Please don't hesitate to let me know if there is anything else I could help you out with.  

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Chase

Message 2 of 10
(3,950 Views)

Hello Chase,

Thank you for the concrete answer (as much as it is fairly disastrous for our application...)

To confirm, by "compatible LabVIEW versions", you mean only LabVIEW 2018 - is that correct? I suppose the DF Toolkit 2017 could be used with 2017 etc, but each toolkit version is specific to the same year's LabVIEW versions?

Perhaps you won't/can't/shouldn't answer here, but is there any of

a) any chance this will reappear in a future version of LabVIEW

b) any workaround to use LabVIEW together with non-server editions of DataFinder in 2019

c) a publicly available explanation for this change? For what seems like a relatively "minor" technical change (so I suppose this is a business/licencing change), the use of TDMS files for data logging just became significantly less desirable in our application.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,942 Views)

Hello Christian,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I'm sorry to hear that the update has caused a lot of trouble.

To clarify my statement about "compatible LabVIEW versions," your understanding is correct - each DF Toolkit is only compatible with its respective year's LabVIEW release version.

Regarding questions a-c, please give me some time to confirm with those involved with these changes to DataFinder Toolkit, and I will get back to you ASAP.

Now, please understand that I may not be able to answer all of your questions publicly. 

However, there is a chance that I could directly message you the answers.

Thank you for your understanding.  

Best,

Chase

Message 4 of 10
(3,937 Views)

I have recently been tasked with updating a previously created data mining function with new features.  This function has been used  for several years and I need to modify the search criteria.  At this time I am using LV 2019 32-Bit and am receiving the same error Cristian received. 

Error -305604 DataFinder: The connected DataFinder is not supported.

What is the NI recommended solution to this issue?  Revert to an old version of LV?  Purchase an option?  

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,701 Views)

Hi Siriusly,

In LabVIEW 2019 and later, the DataFinder VIs ship for free with a standard LabVIEW installation, but there is no "My DataFinder" that ships with them.  Deployments of the DataFinder VIs are also free.

In previous LabVIEW versions, the DataFinder VIs were only available as part of a separately purchased LabVIEW DataFinder Toolkit, which always included the "My DataFinder".  You needed the development version of the toolkit to create VIs that queried the DataFinder, and you needed the deployment version of the toolkit on each target computer on which you wanted to run the deployed application.  There was considerable and understandable grumbling about this "deployment" fee, which ran counter to the general LabVIEW expectation.  NI always said the deployment fee was because you were also deploying "My DataFinder", whether you used it or not.

What we have now is a cleaner architecture.  The VIs you need to create the querying application in LabVIEW ship for free with LabVIEW.  Crucially, there is no longer a per-target-computer fee to deploy the querying application.  The rub is that you have to purchase what used to be called the DataFinder Server Base for one or more computers.  As of Fall 2019, the DataFinder is now part of the standard SystemLink Server license.  In some cases, it may work out to use 1 DataFinder Server that is accessed by N target computers (which was not possible with "My DataFinder").  For many user scenarios, the self-contained nature of the deployment containing its own "My DataFinder" was desirable and designed.  In the worst-case scenario, you'd need to install a DataFinder Server on each target computer.

So long story short, you either stay with the 2018 or previous version of LabVIEW and the purchased development toolkit and purchased deployment toolkits, or you decide to move forward with the DataFinder Server Base.  There weren't many customers who wanted to use the "My DataFinder" with their built applications, but there were a few, and it sounds like you were one of them.  Many other customers who wanted to use the DataFinder Server with their deployed application complained that they were being charged per-target-computer to deploy a "My DataFinder" that they would never use.  For them this new architecture is perfect, as they only pay for what they use, and even the development VIs are free.  For folks like you who relied on the deployed "My DataFinder", this change will cause significant disruption to your deployment strategy.  Even if you choose to adopt the DataFinder Server Base approach NI suggests, it will probably cost you more money to do so than the previously available option.  For both of these adverse ramifications, I apologize.

Brad Turpin

Senior Technical Support Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,678 Views)

Brad,

Thanks for the detailed response, I understand my problem now.  Going forward I would like to use the DataFinder Server Base so I can use LabVIEW 2019 and future releases.  Can you provide a link to the DataFinder Server Base so I can generate a quote?  I was not able to find it on the NI website.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,655 Views)

Hi Siriusly,

Sorry for the super slow answer.  As of fall 2019, you now purchase the DataFinder as part of our SystemLink server architecture:

https://www.ni.com/en-us/shop/electronic-test-instrumentation/application-software-for-electronic-te...

You get up to 15 DataFinder instances that you can configure and run independently (on the same computer), and you can puchase as many or as few user connection licenses as you need.

Brad Turpin

Senior Technical Support Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,541 Views)

Thanks Brad for the detailed explanation. Wish I would have known this before downloading the Diadem 2020 trial. FYI, installing Diadem 2020 trial blew apart the LabVIEW 2012 My DataFinder. Where to now if I need to do a demo?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,209 Views)

Hi FixedWire,

The problem is that both the LabVIEW DataFinder Toolkit 2012 and DIAdem 2020 install the same shared component, "My DataFinder", but after 8 years the version of "My DataFinder" that DIAdem 2020 installs is incompatible with the 2012 version.  My DataFinder does not install side-by-side, so the newer version clobbers the older version, replacing it with one that is "better" but incompatible with LabVIEW 2012.  In order to remove the newer My DataFinder you need to remove all NI software that is associated with it, then install the LabVIEW DataFinder Toolkit 2012 again.  It might be easier to start with a fresh computer or VM image...

Brad Turpin

Principal Technical Support Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,092 Views)