DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DataFinder with LabVIEW 2019 (My DataFinder, not Server)

Solved!
Go to solution
Highlighted

I'm trying to use the DataFinder VIs under Connectivity > DataFinder in LabVIEW 2019 to search my local DataFinder and get a list of files matching some criteria.

As a quick test, I created the following code:

df2019.png

Here I found that "DataFinder: The connected DataFinder is not supported."

Reading the 2019 LabVIEW Release Notes I see that the DataFinder Toolkit no longer exists and has been replaced by these VIs (in snippet above).

The various release notes and information about DIAdem 2019, 2018, LabVIEW and the DataFinder toolkit haven't lead me to be completely certain, but I'm beginning to be worried that I can't use a local (non-DataFinder Server Edition) DataFinder with LabVIEW. Is this really true?!

If not, is the problem that I'm running 32-bit LabVIEW and the DataFinder is now 64-bit only (if so, why is the LabVIEW 2019 32-bit version showing these VIs?). I previously attempted this with DIAdem 2017 and LabVIEW 2019 but received the same message (and so then upgraded DIAdem, in case version mismatch was the problem).

I hope that this remains possible - please tell me I've missed some crucial detail (like perhaps, I must create a separate local DataFinder with a different name, etc).

Edit: I thought maybe I'd seen the "My DataFinder" was unique when reading somewhere, a reference that's probably still true is found in the 2018 DataFinder Toolkit reference:

My DataFinder and DataFinder Server
You can search for data with the local My DataFinder and also with a DataFinder server. Use My DataFinder to run a search with the local DataFinder on your computer or in the network. The DataFinder index is on your computer. You cannot delete the My DataFinder DataFinder and you cannot create an additional local DataFinder.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(259 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author cbutcher

Hello Christian,

I apologize for the late reply.  

This is Chase from National Instruments Japan.  

I'm afraid the answer to you question is that My DataFinder is no longer supported with our new DataFinder Connectivity Toolkit (2019).  The latest version that supported My Datafinder for LabVIEW is DataFinder Toolkit 2018.

Therefore, to continue using My DataFinder, you will have to use DataFinder Toolkit version 2018 or below with its compatible LabVIEW versions. 

I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences we may have caused you from our recent updates.  Please don't hesitate to let me know if there is anything else I could help you out with.  

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Chase

Message 2 of 4
(132 Views)

Hello Chase,

Thank you for the concrete answer (as much as it is fairly disastrous for our application...)

To confirm, by "compatible LabVIEW versions", you mean only LabVIEW 2018 - is that correct? I suppose the DF Toolkit 2017 could be used with 2017 etc, but each toolkit version is specific to the same year's LabVIEW versions?

Perhaps you won't/can't/shouldn't answer here, but is there any of

a) any chance this will reappear in a future version of LabVIEW

b) any workaround to use LabVIEW together with non-server editions of DataFinder in 2019

c) a publicly available explanation for this change? For what seems like a relatively "minor" technical change (so I suppose this is a business/licencing change), the use of TDMS files for data logging just became significantly less desirable in our application.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(124 Views)

Hello Christian,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I'm sorry to hear that the update has caused a lot of trouble.

To clarify my statement about "compatible LabVIEW versions," your understanding is correct - each DF Toolkit is only compatible with its respective year's LabVIEW release version.

Regarding questions a-c, please give me some time to confirm with those involved with these changes to DataFinder Toolkit, and I will get back to you ASAP.

Now, please understand that I may not be able to answer all of your questions publicly. 

However, there is a chance that I could directly message you the answers.

Thank you for your understanding.  

Best,

Chase

Message 4 of 4
(119 Views)