cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIAdem unable to pull TDM Server license

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi Chris,

I chatted with R&D about this issue.  What we know is that you must use the TDM Server 2017 SP1 or the NILM hotfix to solve the issue of the connections not being released back into the pool after clients are finished with them.  Even then, we have discovered a few corner cases where multiple connections can be consumed by the same DIAdem client.

R&D specifically asked for answers to the following questions regarding your screenshot of client connection usage. It appears that the last characters in the user token represent the IP address of that client machine.

• Can you confirm that the displayed user token IP addresses are correct for each client computer in the list?
  • Do you ever see the same IP address display twice in the list?
  • Is it possible to get a screenshot which shows ALL 8 user tokens as checked out?
  • Is it possible that a client computer has more than one IP address (Notebook with LAN and WAN or more than one network adapter)?

Thanks,

Brad Turpin

DIAdem Product Support Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 27
(1,443 Views)

Hi Brad,

For your first bullet point, are you asking if the IP addresses of the people using DIAdem licenses match the IP addresses of the TDM Server Concurrent Instances?  I can talk to IT about how to easily check that (or possible e-mail those users).

I never see the same IP address twice in the list of TDM Server Concurrent Instances.

I will try to capture an instance of all 8 TDM Server Concurrent Instances in-use and post it here.

I'm not aware of any clients with multiple network interface cards.  I don't believe we have any at the moment.

It seem that the licesing is generally working with the exception of that one instance I posted shortly after installation of the NILM patch on the TDM Server 2017 computer.

Thank you,

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 27
(1,428 Views)

Here is a screenshot of VLM 3.1 showing all 8 DataFinder Server Concurrent Connections.

VLM31AllDFSELicenses_180207.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 27
(1,376 Views)

Hi Guys,

I just purchased and installed TDM Server 2017 a few months ago and thought things were working well... until Diadem users actually started connecting, and I hit this Concurrent Users Issue.  Sad that I got a USB stick in late Q1-2018 with the non 2017-SP1 installer, or any note to check for an update.

Anyway, it looks like I need to install TDM Server 2017 SP1.  Do I need to uninstall the old 2017 version first?  Will the index and settings from the existing version persist, or can they be exported somehow?  I have finally learned to ask first, since I'm not having much luck just going for it.

Thanks,

--Brent

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 27
(1,265 Views)

Hi Brent,

It was a while ago, but I seem to recall when installing TDM Server 2017 SP1, it wasn't necessary to reconfigure the settings.  Even so, not sure how much data you're dealing with, but our search area is about 2 TB and it took less than two hours to index the whole thing last time I did it.  We run the TDM Server on a Windows Server 2012 R2 computer with 16GB RAM and 8 Intel Xeon E5-2665 2.6 GHz cores.

As far as the concurrent users issue, do you see this problem in VLM 3.1?  If so, are you running the latest NI License Manager?  Our issue was caused by a bug in an older version of NILM.  The concurrent users issue seemed to go away once NILM was updated on the VLM 3.1 computer and the TDM Server computer.

Cheers,

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 27
(1,262 Views)

HI Chris--

Thanks for the help.  I backed up the DF settings as best I could just in case, stopped the TDM server, and just ran the SP1 installer ( no uninstall or other backup)...  everything worked fine.

I had VLM 3.1 already installed with the Non-SP1 DF-2017 and had the same issue you described... with the exception that I ONLY have ONE license for a concurrent diadem connection... so anytime you would connect Diadem to the server DF and close it, you would need to reboot the TDM server in order to connect a second time... which maybe helped me out, since it was painfully obvious something was wrong.  Now that I have DF 2017 SP1 installed, licenses for connections to the DF server get used and released properly.  So you probably have to have both components updated.

Thanks again for sharing, your post saved me a bunch of troubleshooting emails and phone calls.

--Brent

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 27
(1,253 Views)

Ah yep, sounds like the problem we were having.  Glad you were able to sort it out!

Cheers,

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 27
(1,241 Views)