DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIAdem on Ryzen Platform

Since WFH had an opportunity to run a vbs script at home on a Ryzen 9 3950x @ 4GHz versus my work Intel i7-6600u @ 2.6GHz.   Work PC is 32GB and home is 64GB.  Both are SSD.    Home PC in RAID stripped on PCIe 4.0 versus 3 on work don't think it is the drive. 

Same script same dataset. 

Home version is on evaluation, work is not.  Maybe evaluation versions are de-tuned?

The Intel is running 2x faster and is 4 iterations behind.  The scripts are single threaded.  Seems like activity is using the same number of threads between the two.

The script is mostly executing local data finder searches.  

Has anyone seen a performance difference this large between Ryzen and Intel on VBS?  Is there a way to optimize for AMD?

Will update if I find something.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,374 Views)

Noticed that the 4 core intel is sitting fairly loaded at all cores 75% to 100%.   Ryzen core is more bursts and averaging lower.

Check timing on the runs:

Ryzen 3950x so the heavy hitter is confirmed to be mostly search. 730 seconds of search where as the 448 seconds... 

az_ltr_0-1596092209756.png

Using the same files and index files almost like it is not using indexed parameters.  Will check the indexed parameters and re-index and see what happens.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,308 Views)

Custom properties were disabled on both platforms so it was a good apple / apple comparison.

Re-indexed the files on both platforms with same optimized properties:

AMD 371 seconds for search, Intel 205 seconds 1.8x slower for AMD with optimized fields.   And non-optimized data 760 versus 448 or 1.7x slower on AMD.

So about the same...  Checking small file drive access.

1MB file access sequential 128MB in 1MB/blocks.

AMD System: 1Queue and 1T Read 3300 MB/sec Write 6600 MB/sec

Intel System: 1Queue and 1T Read 1100 MB/sec Write 850 MB/sec

4k random data 128MB in 4K blocks

AMD System: 1Queue and 1T Read 47.3MB/sec Write 133MB/sec

Intel System: 1Queue and 1T Read 29.3 MB/sec Write 58.27 MB/sec

So not the drives being slower on the AMD System

So not sure why this would be as the datafinder search seems to be just slower on AMD System even if it is better spec'd.

In the examples provided is there a standard script that is used to compare performance in application areas?

I don't think the cores are throttling... Cores are not throttling.  Cinebench runs in the 7000's.   Some report 9000s in this processor but I am running 64GB 2666MHz memory so I think that impacts me some and I didn't close down anything.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,302 Views)

Hey az_Itr,

As far as I know, the evaluation version of DIAdem should perform the same as a licensed version of DIAdem.  A DataFinder Server will perform some tasks in parallel, but a DIAdem VBScript will always execute single threaded unless you have specifically invoked and configured DIAdem Workers in the DIAdem VBScript.

Brad Turpin

Principal Technical Support Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,256 Views)

Since the eval is the same, are there any configurations with the DF, DIAdem, Windows settings that might impact by platform?

Can you recommend a test case / stress case for a relative benchmarks?  From the example perhaps that perform repeat searches to allow a standard comparison?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,250 Views)

Hi az_Itr,

Yours is the first in depth test I'm aware of that compares DataFinder performance on Intel chips vs. AMD chips.  I don't have much to add, other than to vaguely posit that perhaps Ryzen chips are better at File I/O type operations than db query type operations-- caching, pipelining, etc.  I don't have a standard script of query operations I can offer.

Sorry for the underwhelming response,

Brad Turpin

Principal Technical Support Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,232 Views)

https://github.com/ltr-az/ni-diadem-benchmarks/tree/master

Started a basic benchmarking tool and put it on github. 

Basic Search.vbs:

I am running this script on 3950x 31 times in 120 seconds.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,212 Views)

Benchmark Changes:

Added "main" script:

Added Re-index test that finds all of the files in the example and re-indexes them.  2.3 files / sec on the re-index.

Fixes:

Fixed a oTimer issue with Halt double counting.

ToDo:

- Add Sort test for VB and DIAdem channel native

- Add in file save and delete from the internal Data Portal.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,189 Views)

My home trial has expired so will have to try and get a home license installed or get the trial extended so until then only the work PCs.

Added re-indexing test

Added file io test

Added PC info information

To Do:

- sorting test

- chnSort

- VBS Sort

- Need to push the tdms/result file somewhere.  Probably try to push back to github for starting host.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,155 Views)

Added sort for channels via the ChnMultipleSortExt().

Added commands to commit the result TDM file via git back to github.  Just doing it manually via command line or git tool of choice.

Probably will leave it like it is for a while.  Test takes about 10 minutes to run.  Results are in the properties for each test channelGroup. 

Thanks!

LR

https://github.com/ltr-az/ni-diadem-benchmarks

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,120 Views)