cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIAdem 2020 - Data Preparation Procedure with Python

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

We are switching to DIAdem / SystemLink 2020; we know python scripting is now supported, and can be already used instead of VBS to create script and/or Analysis Automation Procedure (.anp file).

I was wondering if it could be already utilised to create .dpp files (Data Preparation Procedures). As far as I can see it, it seems it is not. Can you confirm it?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,575 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author panta1978

Hi panta,

The DPP file is mostly created with a configuration dialog.  Are you referring to running a python script in the V&V step instead of the traditional VBScript in that step?  I am not aware of that being a possibility yet, though I agree that would be a great feature.

Brad Turpin

Principal Technical Support Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,504 Views)

Hi Brad,

Thanks for your answer. Yes, I meant V&V step (I didn't mention it, my bad).

We can keep working with VBScript without any problem, mine was just a curiosity. Of course if Python-based V&V scripting is available one day, we will certainy appreciate.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,494 Views)

Hi,

Does the Systemlink 2020 support data plugins built using Python?

Thanks

Pranay

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,470 Views)

Hi Pranay,

Yes, SystemLink 2020 and DIAdem 2020 both will run DataPlugins created in python.  Note though that in this very first implementation of python DataPlugins, only the built-in modules of the python runtime are available-- you can not include any modules in your python DataPlugin that were pip installed.

Brad Turpin

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,441 Views)

@Brad_Turpin wrote:

Hi Pranay,

Yes, SystemLink 2020 and DIAdem 2020 both will run DataPlugins created in python.  Note though that in this very first implementation of python DataPlugins, only the built-in modules of the python runtime are available-- you can not include any modules in your python DataPlugin that were pip installed.

Brad Turpin

National Instruments

Do you know if it is on the road map to support the use of pip installed modules?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,384 Views)

Hi Ryan,

I know that R&D is looking into it.  I don't have any timelines or feature forecasts.  There are several considerations that make this more complicated that it sounds at first.  One is the distribution question-- if the DataPlugin is allowed to use included modules, then sending the DataPlugin to another computer will have to install or verify that those modules are already installed on that computer.  Another is the parallelization question-- The DataFinder Server typically runs DataPlugin instances in parallel using multiple CPU threads, but not all included modules are thread safe.  Stuff like that.  I know that R&D wants to expand the DataPlugin coverage to include (ahem) as much of the full python tool set as will work for DataPlugins.  I have not heard clarifying comments or what the next step will look like or when it will happen.

That's all I've got for now,

Brad Turpin

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,315 Views)