cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contour Matrix vs. Triplet

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am having an issue with plotting data as a triplet. I have attached screenshots of two plots with identical data sets, one is a triplet set of data, the other is a matrix. I used the matrix function "convert matrix" to change from one to the other, however, when I plot the data as a triplet I lose all of the resolution that I need.

Is there any way to have the plots show up the same with the different plot types? This specific data set can be plotted as a matrix but with some of the other things that I want to be able to do, I cannot use a matrix because the X and Y are not linear.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,429 Views)

Hi Nevenhouse,

Can you post the script that you're using to convert the Matrix data to Triplet data?

I'm also curious what analysis you're trying to do, where nonlinear X and Y channels prohibit the analysis but triplets (which will still have nonlinear X and Y) will work.

NickelsAndDimes
Product Support Engineer - sbRIO
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,399 Views)

Hello,

When I switched the data shown in the graphs I just used the analysis function in 3D basic functions "Convert Matrix.". The script that requires triplet data isn't limited, its the display that is the limiting factor. I am doing NVH order analysis, which means I break the accelerometer data into sections and run an FFT on each section. I know what the speed is for each section of the data, so I am able to convert the frequency to its corresponding order.

The problem is, I can only display a limited number of results on the Matrix contour plot because as the speed gets higher, the orders available drop. And also, the distance between points does not change linearly because all of the data is actual test data. 

I haven't finished the script because I need to know if there is a way to keep resolution on the triplet plot or if I have to figure out a way to convert the data to be usable on a matrix plot, which is going to be a lot more difficult and processor intensive.

I tried to upload the data, but it is significantly larger than they allow.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,390 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nevenhouse

Hi Nevenhouse,

You get to choose what grid resolution is displayed when you plot a 3D surface using triplet data.  In the Curve Parameters dialog, on the "Interpolation" tab, you can choose the interpolation method and X and Y mesh density.  These parameters will be used each time the 3D graph is refreshed to recalculate the 3D interpolation, converting the triplet data to matrix data behind the scenes.  It looks from your PNG files like the triplet data is just lower resolution than the matrix data, and my guess is the default XY mesh lines of 50/50 is simple much less granular than whatever you used when explicitly converting the triplet data to matrix data in the ANALYSIS panel.

Brad Turpin

DIAdem Product Support Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,375 Views)

That worked, I appreciate the help, thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,366 Views)