DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any new reference material

I'm really just getting started with DiAdem and have the "Getting Started Guide" and the "Data Mining, analysis and report generating guide" from NI.  However, they give descriptions of what can be done such as the FFT with a pretty report, but now real description of how to perfrom the analysis or the references to all the parameters.

I am used to the Labview reference guides and multiple references books that can be bought.  We really like the product from what we've been able to do so far, but the scripting syntax is a bit unwieldy.  We code in C++, Matlab, Fortran, and although the syntax has some features similar I can not find the real syntax quide to help.  Plus I don't speak german.  I'm sure the NI course will get us up and running, maybe a bit past the point we're at now, but we are always challenging the software to need to get behind the simple work to getting to output what we really want.  

I just found the filter tool on for cleaning up a dirty signal and that was great, but again too many parameters in the options box to know what they all mean.   maybe i have to go back to my DSP basic sourse to understand all the types listed and each parameter.

Any help greatly received.  We are at 10.1 now and love what we think will be a great productivity anaysis and report genberation tool.

Bill

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,646 Views)
Hi Bill,

Regarding your questions about FFT or filtering I admit that there is a lack of basic mathematical information in the DIAdem documentation which we are currently trying to close. You mention, that you don't speak German. I don't see where this would help you - at least regarding DIAdem 😉 In case you have DIAdem documentation in German please tell me - it should be available in English as well.

Regarding DIAdem scripts I think scripting in general is not too complicated as we are using the standard VBS script engine. But of course you have to get familiar with all the DIAdem specifics. You find a complete description of all the commands, variables and object-oriented interfaces in the DIAdem help. I assume you discovered the recording mode in SCRIPT, enabling you to record your interactive workflow in a script. If you are missing some of the parameters in the script please press CTRL+A during recording when the corresponding dialog box is open. (If you are not in recording mode CTRL+A copies the parameters in the Windows clipboard from where you can paste it in a script manually.) When editing your script press F1 to jump into the help of the item your cursor is currently standing in.

The DIAdem training courses deliver good material to get you up running (Basics course) and teach you scripting (Advanced course). If you don't have the time to attend a course you might be able to buy the course material to go through it on your own.

If you have more concrete questions regarding specific parameters or features we would be glad to help you out.

Regards,

Ralf
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,634 Views)

Thanks for the reponse.  My comment about reading german was that their were books referenced in the forum that were written in german.  I don't know if they were traslated, or if they are NI guides, or third party books.     We have decnt thrid party and NI sponsored set of LABview (g-language) reference documents that have the complete syntax and command words.     I read a few forum responses with examples and could quite follow some of the commands without the references.  There appears to be a strong robust command in-line (scripting) capability. 

Also, this morning we had upgraded to 10.1 and two things happened:  1.) 10.0 wasn't remioved/upgraded so it exists in its native form.  there appeared to be some bugs with errors using the report writing features such as axis ticks.  i then went to 10.1 and those errors were correted, but then found out the syntax had changed to aither AUT as original to VBS which I suppose really adds extra capability using visual basic formated commands.  took me a while to know the change.  then I also needed to download SP-1 already from the NI site.

I know this is relatively new (a couple of years for NI, but the documentation is quite thin as compared to the availability of Labview and and LABWindows CVI literature to cover in depth usage and code commands/syntax..

I'll try your scripting online idea in the mean time.    I'll also look to see how the courses can be fit into our schedules.

regards,

Bill

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,621 Views)

Hi,

I am new to DIAdem and have version 10.2. Unfortunately I am not comfortable in German and I have a German version. Smiley Sad Kindly let me know where from I can download the English version of 'Getting Started' guide for DIAdem 10.2. 

Thanks in advance,

With warm regards,

Saurav

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,422 Views)

Hi Bill,

I'm confused by your statements regarding the scripting change from DIAdem 10.0 to DIAdem 10.1.  Prior to DIAdem 8.0 the automation language in DIAdem was indeed the AUT language, a proprietary, pascal-similar language that DIAdem invented.  It was very slow and used all global variables and was thankfully retired back in something like 2001.  But the AUT syntax still lingered in a few places, most notably in the Calculator and in the @ expressions, such as @ChnName(CCN)@, that you can embed in REPORT objects.  As of DIAdem 10.1 both the Calculator and the REPORT expressions (now @@ expressions) switched over to using VBScript syntax.  So as of DIAdem 10.1 the only places where AUT syntax still lingers is when you address DIAdem from an external compiler using one of DIAdem's two ActiveX servers, or when you start DIAdem with DOS extensions (say from a Windows shortcut) to start DIAdem with a specific personality.

Brad Turpin
DIAdem Product Support Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,409 Views)

Thanks, Brad for the document!

With warm regards,

Saurav

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,403 Views)

Bill, Saurav,

Here is another ducoment that you might find interesting and useful for your work:

DIAdem Hands-On Exercises

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/5393

This document is being expanded over time, so check back to see if there is an updated version after a while.

Some more DIAdem documents are here:

http://digital.ni.com/manuals.nsf/websearch/1AEB6B0D74573E57862570D90071F55B

http://www.ni.com/support/diasupp.htm

To get access to an English version of the DIAdem software, please download from this link:

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=60&thread.id=7399

You can use the English version of DIAdem with your license key instead of the German version.

Let us know if you have any additional questions,

Otmar

Otmar D. Foehner
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,397 Views)

Dear Otmar,

Thanks for your help. Could you please let me know some books in English on DIAdem? I am a beginner to DIAdem and interested in knowing in detail about scripting in DIAdem. 

With warm regards,

Saurav   

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,381 Views)
Hi Saurav,

As far as I know, there are no books written about DIAdem in English. Your best bet would be to either self-pace or attend the DIAdem courses offered here:
DIAdem Basics
DIAdem Advanced

Regards,
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,342 Views)