From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An issue while indexing TDMS files in Diadem

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all!

I’m new to the Diadem environment, and I have faced an issue.

I have a data acquisition software that was built in LabVIEW, the data is being saved from the software in TDMS files,

The data waveform must be organized in the following hierarchy:

• The type of measurement taken (voltage, current etc.…)
    • The event the measurements was taken in
      • The DUT that was recorded

The way we have thought to do this so far is to creates the TDMS files in the following manner:

A file for every type of data acquired (for example: a file for voltage, current, etc.)

Inside the file there is a group for each “event” recorded, those events are number in an indexed manner (i.e. Event 1, Event 2 etc.…)

The group contains a waveform for each UUT device recorded in the event (Device 1, Device 2, etc...)

Attached to this are two files for example

When I do make the files in this manner I face the following issue:

When I open the first of these files in Diadem everything is fine, and the file is indexed correctly (see photo below)

photo 1photo 1

When I try to add a second file to the Data portal, instead of showing the file separately (using the group name inside the file) Diadem adds the new file to the same data source and continue to index of the groups from the end of the previous files (see photo)

photo 2photo 2

It is important to note that the example files are small, but in real applications I can have many UUT’s and many events, storing data from serval parameters. therefore, this issue makes data analysis very tough.

My questions:

• I have understood that I cannot make two separate data roots in Diadem, but is there a way to add the files to the data portal so that re-indexing will not occur (while keeping the existing file structure)?
  • Is there a different way to structure the files (keeping the hierarchy mentioned above) that will allow me to analyses the data in diadem? (it is important to mention again, they I can get to very large data files easily, therefore I do not think it is possible to keep all of my data inside the same file)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,619 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ReuvenSt

What you can do is changing the separator.

Using e.g.

UniqueNameSep    = "Semicolon"

or the settings dialog which will result in a different looading behavior.

Capture.PNG

Be aware that the amount of groups and channels  has a limit.

Message 2 of 4
(2,607 Views)

Hello,

Try these to ideas:

1)  Make the File level properties to be copied to the Group level.

DIAdem settings, Navigator| Loading behavior, and the select property inheritance level to Move to loaded Level.  Now you can see in the props for each loaded group what file the group came from.

2)  Write a small script that when each file is loaded, Will add a prefix to group name that will allow you to know what file it came from.  (something unique.)

Maybe something like this script

Option Explicit 'Forces the explicit declaration of all the variables in a script.

dim oGrps: set oGrps = Data.root.ChannelGroups
dim oGrp
dim sPropvalue: spropvalue = oGrp.Properties("Property name that has unique name").Value
dim sOldGroupName
for each oGrp in oGrps
sOldGroupName = oGrp.Name
if left(oGrp.Name,5) = "Event" then

oGrp.Name = sPropValue & "_" & sOldGroupName
end if
next

Now you will have in portal something that will let you know what file it came from as a part of the group name, as well as properties for each group that will let you know what file it came from.

Paul

Message 3 of 4
(2,591 Views)

Hi!

this work wonderfully!

now i can analyse the data in a organized way! 

(see photo)

1.PNG

thanks a lot 🙂 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,570 Views)