DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Again a question about importing strings...

Hi, it's me again...

besides of "normal" numeric data, I want to export strings from LabVIEW to DIAdem in order to use them with reports generated for the numeric data.
What is the best way to do this?
Currently, we only have the starter-kit of DIAdem so that I can't use autosequences. Is there actually a chance to do it with this version?
I thought of importing the strings as a kind of additional text (in channel attributes), but I don't know how to accesss these fields in LabVIEW...

Feel free to ask for details if anything is nebulous.
If you only know how to do it with the full version of DIadem, please post it. I believe in getting the full version soon...

Andreas
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,947 Views)
Hi Andreas,

There are different ways to import strings into DIAdem.

The easiest way will be to get Version 9 which supports text channels.
Another way would be to index each string, store a number for it in the data matrix and create a text file that relates these numbers to the actual strings you want to display (I believe there is an example for this somewhere).

Since you mentioned that you might be getting a new version of DIAdem soon (it will be version 9), let me know if you still want to get some details on the other method or if you would prefer to try this with version 9.

Otmar
Otmar D. Foehner
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,947 Views)
Thanks, Otmar,

version 9 won't be released before February 2004 in Germany (as far as I know). I would appreciate if you gave me some details on the other possible method.

Regards,

Andreas
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,947 Views)
As far as I know, it is orderable right now and starts shipping today or sometime later this week.

You will still need some kind of script to import the strings into a channel. I'll have too look into that in order to figure it out, but I'm busy right now.

I'll see if we can get someone to write a script for you and post it here.

Otmar
Otmar D. Foehner
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,947 Views)
Hi Andreas,

The next version of LabVIEW will have built into it the ability to write string channels in the new DIAdem 9 file format (*.TDM). DIAdem 9 has string channels finally. In the meantime, your best bet is to use the LabVIEW-DIAdem Connectivity VIs to write a DIAdem 8 data file (*.DAT). As you suggested, you can insert your string information into data set and/or channel properties in the *.DAT file.

You can get the latest version of the LabVIEW-DIAdem Connectivity VIs (2.1) from the DIAdem download page (www.ni.com/support/diasupp). These VIs will work with both LabVIEW 6.1 and LabVIEW 7.0. You will find a top-level VI there called "DIAdem Simple File Write.vi", which has several inputs for storing associated string information.

The "Data
Set Info" input cluster takes the two strings "Name" and "Author" that describe the entire data set. The "Channel Info" input array of clusters takes for each channel the strings "Name", "Description", and "Author" specific to that channel.

If you need to pass further string information, the "DIAdem File Write.vi" has an input for up to 100 pairs of data set comments (name and value), and the "DIAdem Read Header File.vi" and "DIAdem Write Header File.vi" give you complete access to all the data set and channel properties of the *.DAT file format.

Ask if you have additional questions,
Brad
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,947 Views)
Thanks, Otmar,

at the moment I'm not sure whether we will upgrade to DIAdem 8.1 Full Version or to DIAdem 9. I hope we already can make use of scripts with the starter kit.
Due to that my boss will get a mental breakdown when he sees the price for DIAdem 9, I assume we are going to use a script with DIadem 8.1 Full Version.

So thank you again for looking for a script typist.

Andreas
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,947 Views)
Thanks Brad,

I would favour the method Otmar posted above. In my case, another person has to do all the analyzing stuff with DIAdem, I just have to provide data somewhere in the data matrix.
I think you'd agree that one single file with all the strings and a referring numeric channel is much less confusing than 50 strings as data/channel info.

But reading your post, the best bet would be DIAdem 9, so I keep my fingers crossed...

Andreas
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,947 Views)