DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access Citadel 5 database

Hi,

is it possible to access a Citadel 5 database directly with DIAdem using the data explorer? I didn't succeed yet.

Thanks,
Carsten
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,284 Views)
Hi Carsten,

DIAdem 9.0 will be able to access Citadel 5 databases directly in its data NAVIGATOR window, just like DIAdem 8.1 was able to access Citadel 4 databases. DIAdem 9.0 is currently in Beta, so if you go to the "ni.com/beta" site, click on "DIAdem", and fill out a Beta profile form, you can (once your profile is enabled) download the Beta of DIAdem 9.0 and give it a try this week. You do need to have the Citadel server installed and running on your computer, as usual, in order for DIAdem 9.0 to be able to get data from the Citadel 5 database.
Message 2 of 9
(4,284 Views)
Hi Brad,

why can't there be just a small update to the data navigator? Changes to the data navigator should be sufficient to get access to citadel 5. I don't want to buy a new DIAdem version just to access the new database...

Carsten
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,284 Views)
Hi Carsten,

I thought that would be possible too, but it turns out that there were upgrades to the software framework the Citadel 5 plugin relies on that were only implemented in DIAdem 9.0.

the good news is that you can still get to the Citadel 5 data by either:

1) Using the Historical Data view in MAX to export your data to a DIAdem 8 file (*.DAT)

2) Using SQL function calls in a DIAdem VBScript to query your Citadel data using the Citadel 5 ODBC driver
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,284 Views)
Hi Brad,

I thought of that too. But doing it in one of these way I'll loose much of the comfort I now have.

:-(((
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,284 Views)
Hi Brad,

I did a test with MAX 3.0.1, and it's horrible 😞

I exported 10 traces at a time to a DAT-file.

I got 10 data traces in the DAT-file: good.

I got 10 time traces in the DAT-file: good.

The 10 time traces are all named "Time": BAD, because I don't know which time trace belongs to which data trace.

So it seems to me, I even have to export exactly one trace at a time! Or did I forget to set an option (I didn't see one)?

Not so happy about that,
Carsten
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,284 Views)
A remark:

I just saw that I get the description in the comment field. By that I know, which time trace belongs to which data trace.

But I just see the comment in DIAdem and often I don't want to select all traces out of the DAT file. (Actually I think it's much more comfortable to choose in DIAdem than in MAX when exporting).

I could change the time traces names in the DAT-file I suppose: but even then I'm not able to do a multichannel select (i.e. select a data and a time trace belonging together with one mouse click). And it's not very convenient to edit the DAT-file first.

OK the "one click selection" is not so important (and I don't even know if thats possible with a DAT-file).

Carsten
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,284 Views)
Carsten,

You do have some flexibility as to how you export various information such as channel names, comments, etc. to the *.DAT file, and it sounds like you've found that already. Once your data is in a *.DAT file, you can choose to load some or all of the channels and some or all of the values in these channels with the "File>>Paste from file" pull-down menu option in DIAdem-DATA. This enables you to do selective loading of data sets stored as *.DAT files. I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but it's a real useful feature that at the least you will be glad to know about at some point.

It sounds like you really need DIAdem 9 in order to conveniently browse the Citadel 5 data base natively in DIA
dem. For the next few months, at least, you could use the DIAdem 9 Beta, which times out in February. If you go to the DIAdem Beta site and sign up/register, I can push your profile live, and you can work with DIAdem 9 for a few months. That would at least solve your short-term problem.

Brad
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,284 Views)
Hi Brad,

yes I'd like to test DIAdem 9 (and right now it looks like we'll have a bit of a budget...). Actually I did apply already for the Beta, but I didn't get a reaction yet (maybe I did something wrong or it just takes its time).

But all of the "problems" I have with Citadel 5 I must say it's really nice to browse the databases in Max so easily. If the access in DIAdem 9 is similar, it'll be very comfortable...

(Oh, it could be one problem with the registration. We didn't buy DIAdem ourself, but a partner in a project (who doesn't acutally use -- but we do -> he transfered it to us) did buy it (because of accounting and so on...).)
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,284 Views)