DIAdem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D graph with individual Z channels

Hi there, I'm trying to create a 3D report graph , to display a number of Z channels against a common X channel, spaced along a Y channel. The waterfall chart below shows the result, but I want the channels to be in different colours to allow a indentification legend ( the waterfall option only allows for one colour trace option) . I'm sure there must be an easy solution, but cannot find it.

Any help would be appreciated.

waterfall.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(1,890 Views)

Hi adek,

In the 3D graph configuration, click on the red color you've selected, then choose instead of a color tile one of the words at the bottom of the pop-up selection dialog: "Palette" or "Glob. Palette 1", "Glob. Palette 2", "Glob. Palette 3".  Any of these will color the waveform planes each a different color.  You can then enable the "Color Legend" to show how those colors map to the Y values.

Note that you can also configure the waterfall graph to display planes in the perpendicular direction instead-- in your case that would be along X axis instead of the Y axis.

Brad Turpin

Principal Technical Support Engineer

NI

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(1,807 Views)

Hi Brad,

Thanks for the info, I've attached my example using the palette option, I now just have a problem with the legend , I would like it to list the channels in the waterfall chart ( Z channels), but can only seem to link it to the Y channel info ( this is a channel I created to provide an even separation for the z channels).

Can you advise on how this legend requirement can be acheived ..?

Adek

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(1,728 Views)

Hi adek,

The waterfall plot either breaks the graph down into X segments or Y segments.  This is why you only see the values of your Y channel in the color legend.  Your other option with the waterfall plot is to see the X values in the legend, with WAY too many segments taken from the X axis (time).

I have made a few changes to improve the appearance, and I think this is about as good as I can make it for a waterfall plot in DIAdem REPORT.  Perhaps we could try something with UserCommands, but I've never tried to do that on a 3D axis system before.  See if this is good enough for your purposes.

Brad Turpin

NI

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(1,591 Views)

Grrrr,

Sorry, I forgot to add in the updated TDM/TDX data file.  I changed the step channel to match the index of the Fuse Z channels.  Without the updated data set the newer TDR file won't look much different.  The other changes I made were mainly cosmetic, though helpful I think.

Brad Turpin

NI

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(1,587 Views)

Hi Brad,

Thanks for the update.

I assume there is currently no way to link the z channel data names to the legend and only number them as you have shown.

Perhaps I will have to continue creating this chart in Excel as this option is available.

Do you think this could be included for upgrade proposal for next release ?

Adrian

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(1,547 Views)

Hi Adrian,

It should actually be possible to create custom color legend texts with a UserCommand that is invoked from the display format field of the configuration dialog.  I could help you set that up, but I like your suggestion of adding a feature to the configuration dialog to simply take the names of the Z channel.  R&D is quite interested in user-submitted feature requests, which you can post at this web page:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/DIAdem-Idea-Exchange/idb-p/diademideas

Brad Turpin

NI

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(1,540 Views)

Hi Brad,

I am helping Adrian to implement this feature and I have had a look into using the User Commands as you have suggested by trying to alter the example from the Diadem help script.  I understand how the user command calls the function but I can't work out how to retrieve the channel names.  How would I change the function below to do this?

Function Set_Unit(TxT)
'Set_Unit = CStr( CurrFormatValue ) + TxT
Set_Unit = Data.Root.ChannelGroups(1).Channels.GetReference
End Function

warburtonj_0-1624446004662.png

Thanks,

James

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(1,435 Views)

Hi James,

I updated the application to pull the Z axis unit from the Zchannel of the 3D plot and append it to the end of the 3D color legend, using the UserComand and @@format approach you suggested.

See what you think,

Brad Turpin

NI

Message 9 of 10
(1,403 Views)

Hi Brad,

Sorry for the late reply, I have been on holiday.

Thanks for your answer it will solve the problem.  I think we will need the channel name displaying on the report but I will be able to construct that by using 

SetLegendUnit = "Fuse" & CStr(CurrFormatValue) & " " & UnitStr

Thanks again,

James

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(1,328 Views)