From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DIAdem Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim West

Simplify how to create a DataPlugin

Hello

Thank you for your request. R&D has read this suggestion and it will be included in feature planning discussions for future DIAdem versions. But because of the huge numbers of possible DIAdem extensions and the fact that just a few sponsors are supporting it, we gave this request a low priority.

Greetings

Walter

Simplify how to create a DataPlugin. I should be able to define a binary layout like a telemetry stream and directly assign channels.

For example, A new GUI would be created. I define the telemetry stream which has three floating point numbers then an integer, repeat. Assign channel names Volts, Amps, Power Out, and Setting. Perhaps set the built-in properties. Press a button the plug in is automatically created.

3 Comments
AndreasH_Ha
NI Employee (retired)

I assume you are aware that there is a DataPlugin assistent for Text-files.
R&D has discussed the option of having an assistent for binary files. Looking at the diversity of existing layouts for binary files, we found it difficult with an user interface which on the one hand is capable of handling the diversity and on the other hand is not too complex. Many files show blocks of binary properties which repeat, e.g. channel headers. If so, you need to be able to define the structure and how often it repeats which is typically dependant of a variable in the file. That's just one example.

Do you have any recommendation how to balance out sufficient coverage versus clear user interface ?

Jim West

My colleagues tell me that I should not offer advice on GUI design. 🙂

I can appreciate the complexity of the GUI. The most complex system I worked on had the ability to create scan lists of a wide variety but the basis of the system was merely integer math. There was always a integer formula that described the placement of the next measurement. I agree that the ability to reference a variable in the file to determine block size is required.

The GUI should be block oriented. A block can be composed of the fundamental types like a floating point or a sub-block. I would restrict the ability to have variable size blocks in the same file. I have never attempted that in 20 years of test system work.

Walter_Rick
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Hello

Thank you for your request. R&D has read this suggestion and it will be included in feature planning discussions for future DIAdem versions. But because of the huge numbers of possible DIAdem extensions and the fact that just a few sponsors are supporting it, we gave this request a low priority.

Greetings

Walter