DIAdem Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Swimmer

Copy or Export data from the visible area of a View 2D axis chart to the Clipboard

Hello Swimmer,

DIAdem 2015, 2017 and 2018 are available. It seems that the Flag function and Brad’s hint fits your request. So, we can close your entry.

Greetings

Walter

It would be very useful to be able to copy data directly from a View 2D axis chart/graph to the clip board.

This action is similar to using the channel table to copy a selection of data and being able to past that data to the next empty column of the table or pasting it directly into the portal to create a new channel.

Currently I can zoom into a small region of the data in the View graph.  Based on the  position of X-cursor1 and X-cursor2 I can find the data in the table and copy it to the clip board.  Then create new channels by pasting into empty columns or pasting into the portal.

But this is very time consuming and cumbersome.  

Some time ago I created a script that would copy the data to new channels automatically, but if I can copy the data to the clip board I can paste it into other programs like, please forgive me, Excel for customers who don't have Diadem.

Excel does have the TDM importer add-on, but then it is really hard to search for data.

4 Comments
JoshRew

Hi,

I just thought I'd chime in to say that you can copy out a range of data a little more easily using these steps:

1. Set the band cursor to the range you'd like to select
  2. Select the channel you would like to copy values from
  3. Press the "Set Flags" button, which should BOLD the selected range for the selected channel
  4. Using the "Flags" dropdown, select "Copy Data Points", which will create a new copy of the selected X and Y channel pair which contain only the selected range of data points
  5. Select the newly created CopyChannelX and CopyChannelY and hit Crtl+C or Right-Click Copy
  6. Paste into desired output application

To be honest, if they were to implement this functionality, I would not be surprised if if was through the established "Flags" interface with an additional "Copy Data Points to Clipboard" option, which sounds like a neat idea.

Also, for a more advanced option, you can set up a script to grab the selected X1 and X2 cursors and have it write to the clipboard or directly to a file for:

1. Selected Channel
  2. A user-defineable list of channels
  3. All channels in the current graph
  4. All channels in the group or data portal (of identical length to the selected channel)

Hope this helps!

-Josh

Engineering Technician

John Deere Power Systems

Brad_Turpin
Trusted Enthusiast

Hi All,

DIAdem 2015, which is in Beta1 right now, has a new feature to synchronize the highlighted row(s) in a VIEW table based on the position(s) of the cursor(s) on a VIEW graph (on the same VIEW sheet).  If you engage that cursor synchronization from the VIEW table's context menu, then move the band cursors on the graph to enclose the desired data, then right-click on the table and select "Copy", then move to Excel or Notepad and click <Ctrl-V>, you'll get your selected data values pasted as neat columns.

Brad Turpin

DIAdem Product Support Engineer

National Instruments

Swimmer

Josh & Brad, 

Thanks for the feedback.  

The flags method works quite well.  Gives me what I needed.

Also glad to hear about coming adition to Diadem.  

Thanks.

Walter_Rick
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Completed

Hello Swimmer,

DIAdem 2015, 2017 and 2018 are available. It seems that the Flag function and Brad’s hint fits your request. So, we can close your entry.

Greetings

Walter