From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DASYLab

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RS232 communication - tie RTS down

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello there,

Weird problem...

I'm working with a special RS232 device that needs to have the RTS pin tied down (without any handshake !).

I made some experiments with the terminal software Realterm, it works fine, only if the RTS is tied down.

Is there a way to set the RTS value somewhere in the Dasylab sheet ?

Thanks in advance !

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,979 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Yoruk

Nothing weird about that. Not much is standard with RS232 devices except that they operate on the serial protocols at the low level. 

DASYLab has three options of the handshake, including tying one or both of RTS and DTR down.

I usually suggest that you try each setting in turn, but I think that you need the second one, Without (R1/D0)

Snag_430bf89.png

Measurement Computing (MCC) has free technical support. Visit www.mccdaq.com and click on the "Support" tab for all support options, including DASYLab.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,965 Views)

Thanks for your quick feedback ! I'll try this and let you know ! 😀

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,953 Views)

Hello,

Didn't know if I have to keep in this topic or not... Please forgive me if I had to split this into a new topic.

I still have issues with my device that needs to communicate in RS232  (with RTS tied down and CTS enabled).

I can communicate without any issues with a terminal software, but I didn't manage to get an answer when using DL. 🤔

Attached is the sheet. Nothing complicated about the serial output...

Here is a data request command command :  0x01 0x04 0x00 0x10 0x00 0x01 0x30 0x0F 

and here is an answer sample (taken from the terminal):

010402001BF93B

The first six and the last 4 characters are useless (CRC, header....). The actual data (4 bold character) is written in hex.

So my data format is this : "6x 4ah 4x". As you can see I didn't have a constant character end, but I always have the same number of characters. Of course, the serial interface is configured in the "Without R0/D1" mode.

But I didn't have any answer at all. In fact, I didn't manage to know if I get any answer at all from my device...

I tried the build-in RS232 monitor, also no success.

Am I doing something wrong  ?

Thanks ! 😁

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,697 Views)