From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DASYLab

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to purchase data acquisition software to download data on RS-422. Will DASYLab do what I want?

Right now I have the following components in my system:

1.    Laptop computer with USB port.

2.    Black box containing 56K bytes of data. It has an RS-422 port.

3.    USB to RS-422 converter (manufactured by Sealevel).

4.    RS-422 cable.

I need to send commands to the black box on the RS-422. And then I need to transfer data from the black box to the computer on the RS-422 and save the data in a binary file. Some of the bytes coming in will be discarded, but most will be saved to the file.

I need to design a simple user interface to do this. What is the best data acquisition software to do this with?

A long time ago I used a package called “Test Point” by Capital Equipment Corporation. I loved that software, but apparently it is no longer sold. 😞 I know LabView is the most commonly used data acquisition package, but I have heard the learning curve is substantial. Will DASYLab do what I want? Would you recommend something else? Wonderware? Azeotech?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,973 Views)

DASYLab can probably handle it, depending on the command and response complexity. The RS422 should show up as a com port on the Windows PC, just as RS485 devices do.

Download an evaluation of DASYLab from www.mccdaq.com/dasylab

I cannot speak to other software, but if you could figure out Testpoint, you will have no problem with whatever you select!

Measurement Computing (MCC) has free technical support. Visit www.mccdaq.com and click on the "Support" tab for all support options, including DASYLab.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,966 Views)