DASYLab

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Communicating with Watlow EZ Zone PM via RS485

I am trying to communicate with a Watlow EZ Zone PM temperature controller using Dasylab to get the value of the temperature reading of the controller. The Watlow controller has EIA 485 Modbus RTU communication port and I have used an USB to RS 485 converter to connect the Watlow controller to my computer. The converted creates a communication port that I can select to set up the communication with the Watlow controller. After connecting the Watlow controller to the computer, I have place an RS Master module in a Dasylab worksheet and I have tried to communicate with the controller unsuccessfully.  I was wondering if someone could help me with the parameters of the RS Master module so I can communicate with the Watlow controller. I am using Dasylab version 11.00.01.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(8,250 Views)

You should be using the Modbus module. The Modbus protocol is more complex than simple RS485/RS232. 

Measurement Computing (MCC) has free technical support. Visit www.mccdaq.com and click on the "Support" tab for all support options, including DASYLab.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(8,229 Views)

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I tried to use the Modbus Analog input module, set up all the interface parameters and I still can't communicate with the Watlow controller. The adress in the controller is 1 and the parameter ID to show the process value is 4001 which I placed on Register of the Modbus Analog Input module. The data type to view the process value is float R which I have selected in the Modbus Analog Input module (float). Subsequently, each time that I click on test I get a Modbus error message as per attached.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(8,224 Views)

Try the Address starts at 0 setting. 

I end up trying most of the settings because it's not always clear from the manufacturer's documentation. 

Measurement Computing (MCC) has free technical support. Visit www.mccdaq.com and click on the "Support" tab for all support options, including DASYLab.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(8,220 Views)

I have tried the adress starting at 0 setting and still get the same error. Just in case the model number of the Watlow cotroller is PM8C1FJ-1CFJCAA. and attached is the Manual for this controller. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(8,214 Views)

Searching on that model number doesn't help... can you attach the manual?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(8,210 Views)

What version (11.00.00, 11.00.01 or 11.00.02) are you running? 

There was a modbus fix in the SP2.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(8,207 Views)

I am running version 11.00.02. The size of the manual is 10.7 Mb, consequently I can't attached it. Here is the link where you could download it:

http://www.watlow.com/products/Controllers/Integrated-Multi-Function-Controllers/EZ-ZONE-PM-Controll...

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(8,203 Views)

Try reading the MAP 1 or MAP 2 address... 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(8,202 Views)

I have placed 360 for Map 1, Instance 1 on the register section of the Modbus Analog Input module and nothing. Similarly, I have placed 440 for Map 1 Instance 2 and Dasylab shows the same error.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(8,200 Views)