From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Counter/Timer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trigger N times

Solved!
Go to solution

I'll confirm what LukeASomers suspected -- your 6023E device cannot support digital change detection.  It also won't support the earlier suggestion in the thread from John_P1 due to other limitations of your device (a single finite pulse train requires use of both counters, you wouldn't be able to run 2 such tasks at once.)

However, your device does have counters that *could* count the number of times a trigger signal is seen.  For that matter, depending on your timing, it might be fine for you to keep track of trigger counts in software.  At what rate do the trigger events come in?

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(733 Views)

My trigger signal comes in every 6 ms.  If I can count the trigger signals in software that would be great.

Actually the trigger comes from a pulsed laser every 1ms, but I have an Arduino counting them and outputting a trigger every 6th one (6ms).  That's because one measurement cycle spans 6ms due to limitations of other hardware in the setup.  This part is working fine, although if I could do this in software as well, that would make my setup a little cleaner. 

If I'm not able to output N triggered pulses in software, I was planning to implement it using the Arduino.  

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(728 Views)

While a Windows PC could do a lot of processing in 6 msec, I wouldn't count on it to be sufficiently *reliable* in its timing to do the counting in software.  You should maybe move the pulse generation over to the Arduino.

OR you could maybe use the 1 msec pulsed laser signal to generate a single finite pulse train with your 6023E.   You'd configure the 1 msec signal as the timebase source signal and define your pulse train to have a period of 6 "Ticks" of your external timebase signal.   You can use the "initial delay" input to set the phase of your output pulse.

Note: doing things this way would restrict you to pulse widths of 2, 3, or 4 "Ticks" @ 1 msec each.  You can't get finer resolution when using an external timebase with 1 msec resolution.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(724 Views)