Counter/Timer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pulse output at 1 sample or burst at once for uniform pulse train generation: counters

hello,

for counter output to drive a stepper motor which option is better.

1. to generate 1 pulse at a time in a while loop with a rate defined by ms delay vi

or 

2. burst of pulses at once 

if we use option 1 is it accurate to pulse time periods of all train of pulses 

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,087 Views)

Option 1 would be software-timed, which means your while loop may not loop precisely at your designated speed so not recommended.

Option 2 would be the way to go since you will control the counter output with the onboard clock, so you can produce precise pulses at the correct timing.

Message 2 of 5
(2,017 Views)

so Burst means HW timed or we can use another specific way to implement HW timed loops. does ni cards have inherent clocks that we can use to achieve precise timing or delays without using Labview RT

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,009 Views)

Which hardware are you using? NI DAQ products have inherent clocks so you can output pulses from counters with precise timing. You don't need LabVIEW RT to do this. 

http://www.ni.com/documentation/en/ni-daqmx/latest/mxcncpts/controlappcase4/

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,000 Views)

You seem to have created several threads on closely related questions.  It'll be best if you can focus the conversation to one of them.

Over in this thread, I suggested that your 6229 card isn't a very good choice.  Something from the X-series family (63xx) would be better. 

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,988 Views)