From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Counter/Timer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pci6602: use of second gate in PULSE_TRAIN_GNR

Hello everyone,

I am using a pci6602 to derive a few clocks from one master clock. For our purposes we need to be able to start/stop the pulse trains a few times during a run. This is not a problem, because when I apply a gate, I can simply inhibit the counting. However, I would like to be able to start/stop on two different signal. With an outside flipflop this is possible, but I read in the register level manual that using the second gate would also be an option. But while the hardware seems to support this feature, the NIDAQ library only enables the second gate in two signal edge separation. Does anyone know of a way to flip the appropriate bit in the card from within the NIDAQ framework?

regards,
Dries
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,369 Views)
Dear Dries,

is your problem, how to create an application, which start with signal1. Stop with Signal2. On the Pfi0 pin is an external flipflop. And both signals are connected on set and reset. Is that right?
Please poste your application in this forum and further informations.

Best regards.

SebastianN
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,346 Views)
Hi Sebastian, thanks for your response.

my application is that I need to create a pulse train that I can start and stop using two
different external signals. But I need to start and stop the pulse train a couple of times,
so the counter cannot be disarmed after a stop pulse. I know how to do this with one signal,
by your applying a signal to the gate of the counter. When I take the gate high, I can inhibit
the counter and thus halt the pulse train. However, my input signal are to external signals,
and I want to start the clock on the edge of the first signal and halt the clock on the edge
of the second signal. I know how to do this with a flip-flop, but I would like to be able to
do it without external logic.

Dries
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,341 Views)
Dear Dries,

unfortunately I have some problems with my Daqmx driver. But the solution seems not so difficult.
In the help finder from LabVIEW you will find the following VI.

The Counter Pause VI:
C:\Programme\National Instruments\LabVIEW 7.1\examples\DAQmx\Counter\Count Digital
Events.llb\Count Digital Events-Pause Trig.vi

I think you can use this one and implement the pause trigger "DaqmxChannel" property node.

The combination of both VI's should be the solution, which you want.

Hope this helps.

SebastianN
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,333 Views)
Ok, thank you for your assistance. I will take a look at this.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,330 Views)