Counter/Timer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

measurment time synchronization

G'Day! I need to conduct measurement by two platforms: notebook with windows XP and desktop PC with W'98 system. Am I able to synchronize the time base for those computers if I work with DasyLab 5 on both of them?
tnx for help.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,841 Views)
What hardware are you trying to synchronize? The answer to your question is dependent on that.
-Alan
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,822 Views)
G'day!
I have installed in my desktop two Advantech ISA PCL-818HG cards and I'd like to synchronize them with Superlogics DAQP-308 PCMCIA card. first I thought that it will be easy to connect the PCs by a cable (RS or network) but it seems not to be so easy.
thanks for answer,
regards,
Przemyslaw Kowalak
Poland
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,819 Views)
Hello Przemyslaw,

For Daisylab support, try contacting support from: http://www.dasylab.net/dasylab_english/
From my knowledge, it's feasable to synch to daq boards using a RTSI cable, but I've never done synchronization in two different computers. I don't think it would work, unless both computers have the same PCI bus speed. If they do have the same speed, you can try connecting them through a large RTSI cable (if they have a RTSI connection), or you can look at documentation on RTSI lines and see what pins you would need to connect.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

LA
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,809 Views)
Hello!
I do not exactly catch what is RTSI, however I can't find anything like that in the manuals of my cards. I found this in the manuals of the latests cards based on PCI bus (my are on ISA bus). so I think that PCL-818 do not support this standart. I will try to get some help from the DaisyLab link You supplied me.
I will let you know if they help me,
thanks a lot,
Przemyslaw
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,806 Views)
Hello,

RTSI stands for Real-Time System Integration bus interface and it's used to route timing and trigger signals between boards that are RTSI-compatible devices. Since your boards are ISA and not PCI, I would assume too that they don't have a RTSI connection.

Try contacting the Daisylab support tech and let me know if they were able to help you out.

Thanks,

LA
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,798 Views)
G'day!
I wos waiting quite long time for the answer from DasyLab support and finally I got one, which I present below:
"you can't synchronize measurement boards in this easy way, because every board uses his own clock and creates his own timestamp for the measurement values.

To transport the data from your PC to the laptop you can use DASYLab Net, but you don't get an exact time synchronisation between the data.

The right way is to use all boards in one PC and the RTSI synchronization, but you need boards which supports RTSI.

Please note that DASYLab 5.6 isn't made for WinXP - the first version which is tested for WinXP is version 6.00.06. I recommend to use two PCs with same operating system and DASYLab version."
that is exactly the same answer I got from You.
It seems I have to rebuilt my data aquisition system anyway.
thanks for all the help,
Przemyslaw
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,778 Views)