From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Counter/Timer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a pattern of pulses with different width on pci-6602

any one who can help me where to get a good example generating a pulse signal on PCI-6602 daq card. I looked some of the examples on the help menu but I dont get the signal I want, may be the external connection is not right. do I have to do some external wiring like connecting the gate to source something like that? this is the project I started on PCI-6024 last time since I need to control the width of each bit I am advised to change to another daq card. also if I want to use more than one counter how do I use on the vi ?. I am using LABVIEW 7.0 please
thanks
casu
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,081 Views)
Hi casu,

Which DAQ driver are you using for development (Traditional or DAQmx)? If you're using DAQmx, the LabVIEW shipping example, "Gen Dig Pulse Train - Continuous" will work with the PCI-6602 card. You should not need to do any external wiring. (for Traditional, try "Generate Pulse Train - (NI-TIO)") What kind of behaviour are you looking for and what are you seeing instead?

If you're working with multiple counters:
DAQmx
i) You can configure a global channel for each counter, and input the global channels as the "taks/channel in" input by separating them with commas
OR
ii)See the example attached

If you need to change the pulse train specifications on the fly, check out the example

Traditional DAQ:
Generating Multiple Pulse Trains with 660x (NI-TIO) Counters
(You will need to update your counter palette to run this example)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,060 Views)
thanks LYU. I am using traditional DAQ this time because I cant use the DAQmx. the pattern I want to create is logical 0 and 1 (pulse or no pulse ) .I am using six channels each one will have six bits. like channel A = 1 0 0 1 1 0 channel B = 0 1 1 0 0 1 and so on. and the width of each bit could be different. I try to modify the example on the labview example , generate single pulse (NI-TIO) keeping PULSE SPEC and CONTROL function in a sequence structure and make six of that for one channel. the whole program in a while loop. It is going to be too bulky when I make like that for all six channels. I dont know how to send the attachment. If you can tell me I will post it and you will have idea what I want to say
thanks
casu
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,043 Views)
Hi casu,

If your code works fine, but you're concerned with the bulkiness, perhaps you can try to modulize your code by making some of your code into subVIs. If you need attach your code to the posting, you can do so by clicking the "Browse" button in the Attachment section under the Reply Message.

Thanks,
Lesley Y.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,020 Views)
Hi, LYU,
I am also using Traditional DAQ and for this example: Generating Multiple Pulse Trains with 660x (NI-TIO) Counters, it seems it does not provide initial delay controll. Whenever I run it, the two signals I got are always at the same phase. Do you know any easy way to add those options or any other vi that have initial delay options.
I tried to played with this single counter example: Finite Pulse Train(NI-TIO).vi but it did't work. Basically I duplicated the whole diagram then set counters 0 and 1. The delay seems right but it can only give me one pulse no matter how many I set.
I am still a newbie in labview coding and sorry if this is a dumb question. 😞
BTW, any good labview book besides the help ? 🙂
Thanks for your help.

yong

Message Edited by yuany on 03-18-2005 03:03 PM

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,944 Views)
Hello,
Is there a particular reason that you do not want to use DAQmx? DAQmx is compatible with your board, and your version of LabVIEW (7.0). Here is a DAQmx example that does delayed pulse train output.
-Alan A.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,910 Views)
Hi, Alan,
Thanks for the info.
I am using Labview 6. Will my pci6602 work for DAQMax and how to switch from traditional nidaq to DAQMax?
many thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,899 Views)
sorry. i am using the labview 7.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,892 Views)
thanks alan for your help, but still have difficulty to use it on my project. I use an array for initial delay and assign with many 0's as you mentioned it last time but still didnt get the right signal. I also try a different way using many sequence structure and keep the whole vi.in each sequences and then in a while loop. still same. I dont know how to write many zero's for initial delay on the example other than using array. please I need your help.
thanks
casu
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,887 Views)
Yuany,
If you have LabVIEW 7.0 and a recent version of NI-DAQ, you can certainly use NI-DAQmx. You can download the most recent version of NI-DAQ free from this site:
http://digital.ni.com/softlib.nsf/webcategories/85256410006C055586256BBB002C128D?opendocument&node=132060_US
If you have all this, there isn't anything you need to do to "switch" to NI-DAQmx. Just open and run the example posted previously. You might have to open Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX) to find out the device number associated with your PCI-6602. Just expand Devices and Interfaces, then NI-DAQmx Devices.
-Alan A.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,860 Views)