From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Counter/Timer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using LS7083 for quadrature encoders

I just read Application Note 084 from 7/9/1999 that recommends using an LS7083 quadrature clock converter to eliminate miscounts due to vibration at low speed on an E Series board. It makes sense from what I have read, question is: does this apply to the M Series board I am using as well - PCI6220?

Ed
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,269 Views)
Ed,

True quadrature conversion is a built-in feature of the M-series boards so there should be no need for an LS7083 or similar interface circuit.

Personal testimonial: I've been using an M-series counter connected directly to a quadrature device for several months with no miscount issues. The device is a non-contact laser interferometer that resolves at the sub-micron level, and we're getting very repeatable measurements. This in an environment where the otherwise unnoticeable air currents from normal operation of the HVAC system cause a vibration-like fluctuation in counts.

-Kevin P.
CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,259 Views)