From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Counter/Timer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading Angles From a Line Driver Quadrature Encoder

I currently have a Quadrature Encoder (Line Drive) and am trying to interface it with a PCI-6602 Counter/Timer Card. I have currently had no luck in correctly hooking it up and reading the angle. Past experience with Quadrature Encoder have all been open collector; I have been able to to successfully hook up an open collector encoder with the 6602.

Any help in hooking up the Line Driver encoder with the PCI6602 would be appreciated.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,157 Views)
Justin,

Normally, the mfgr. would include a recommended "Line Receiver" interface circuit for the encoder. I've found that some line-driver encoders actually can be successfully connected directly to the 6602 for quick-and-dirty testing, though you wouldn't want to wire that up arbirtrarily or rely on it for the long term. In any event, it sounds like you'll need to add a line receiver interface.

-Kevin P.
CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,143 Views)