From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Counter/Timer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Physical Connections to use 4 counters with NI 9411 in cDAQ 9178 chassis

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

Currently I have a NI 9411 module in a cDAQ 9178 chassis.  I am using 2 of the counters to read frequency measurements.

From the NI 9411 pinout diagram (see pdf file attached to this post), these are the connections I made:

CTR 0 SRC, pin 1 to COM/ground

CTR 0 GATE, pin 2 to first frequency signal

CTR 1 SRC, pin 6 to COM/ground

CTR 1 GATE, pin 7 to second frequency signal

The problem is now I'd like to use the 3rd and 4th counters in my cDAQ 9178 chassis, but I am confused how to wire

in the 3rd and 4th frequency signals, because CTR2 GATE is pin 1 and CTR3 GATE is pin 6.  Can I change the pin assignments

to use the other pins in the NI 9411 module for counter frequency measurements?  I haven't figured out how to do that in MAX

configuration.

Thanks,

Anna

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(10,824 Views)

For others that have the same issues, I found some more information on physical signal connections for counters in the NI-DAQmx Help (access directly through the Labview application). Search for topic: Connecting Counter Signals.  Go to "C Series Signal Connections for Counters".  I'm going to try these counter connections and see how it turns out.

Anna

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(10,822 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author EETDer

Hi EETDer,

The "C Series Signal Connections for Counters" help that you found is a good resource.  One thing I want to point out is that for a frequency measurement on a single counter, you only need to wire the signal source to the CTR Gate.  Internally, the module will route an appropriate internal timebase to the counters source, therefore you DO NOT want to connect the CTR Source to ground.  On your device, you will just wire each signal into the counter source, thereby only utilizting pins 1,6,3,8 for your 4 frequency measurements.

Message 3 of 6
(10,804 Views)

Hi Chris,

Yeah, after I found the "C Series Signal Connections for Counters", that's when I realized that I only need to connect the signal line to those

pins, and the COM line all go to pin 12.  Works like a charm.

Thanks,

Anna

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(10,801 Views)

Hi Anna, I am also using NI 9411 and Ni cDAQ 9178 but I'm using an omega TQ514 rotary sensor. I would like to measure the RPM. Can you please guide me on the proper connection of the encoder to NI 9411? It has four wires, encoder power(+5V), encoder ground(GND), encoder lead(CW lead) and encoder trail(CW trail).

when i try to get continuous sample for angular position it says that i need and external sample clock..I dont know where to get it :(..huhu

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,344 Views)

Hi Pete,

You're going to need to create a new post.  This post was from 3 years ago and you have different variables involved.

Thanks,

Jonathan R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(5,332 Views)