Counter/Timer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Channel Pulse Generation

I need to generate a single pulse on two channels with precise timing to trigger lab equipment. Please see image below. I haven't found any examples with multiple channel pulse generation. 

Hardware: 

We are currently using a myDAQ. We also have a NI-9401 digital IO module but supervisor would prefer to use myDAQ if possible.

Work so far:

(Please see LabVIEW attached)

I've tried writing a LabVIEW program using two "ctr" (so it wouldn't run on myDAQ). Channel 2 triggers off channel 1. One issue already is that initalDelay2 must be greater than initialDelay1. I haven't been able to test it but I do have an error with simulated hardware (ERROR: "Lines 0 through 3 of this port are configured for input. Cannot configure these lines for output at this time.")

Questions:

1. Can myDAQ be used? Or do we need multiple "ctr" (e.g. NI-9401)

2. Am I on the right track? (considering adding analog input and other control later)

Thanks!

Pulse Diagram
Pulse_Generationd.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,790 Views)

myDAQ has just one CTR , therefore the 9401 will be needed. On the other side, I see that your code follows a correct structure, I dont think adding another analog input would generate any issue. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,743 Views)

How precise should it be?

You can generate 2 synced pulses, using 2 hardware timed analog outputs. Your timing step will be 5 us (200 kHz).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,675 Views)

PS, if you need more precise timing, you can start counter pulse by analog output pulse

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,674 Views)

Hi!

I would like to use this HW (9401) to trigger up to 6 instruments with adjustable delay times (0-5000ms) between the trigger pulses.

What do you think is possible? Maybe with timer-controlled digital patterns?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,351 Views)