From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Counter/Timer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generate PXI backplane Trigger From Multiple Channels

I have 7 counter channels running on the 6614 timer card.  Each channel is triggered by an externally generated digital pulse.  I would like to generate a single back plane trigger if any of these channels are triggered.  There is a lot of information on triggering multiple channels from a single source trigger, but I can't find any information on setting a trigger from multiple sources.  Is this possible?  What degree of timing accuracy can I expect?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,766 Views)

You could do this using a DI task with timing set for "Change Detection".  According to the manual, change detection is supported on both port 0 and port 1.

Be sure the signals that trigger the counters are wired into lines of port 0 or port 1, configure a DI change detect task that's sensitive to the appropriate triggering edge, and then export the "change detect" signal to the PXI backplane. 

There's a shipping example for change detection DI and down below is a LV 2016 snippet of the code that shows how to export the change detection event to the PXI backplane.  (Note that you need to configure this signal export before starting the task, as shown.)

-Kevin P

export change detect to PXI.png

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,755 Views)

This method worked well.  It was best to use the change detect lines to trigger a counter output to drive the PXI trigger.  There is a good example on the forums.

Use a Counter to Export a Change Detection Event on a PXI-1078e Chassis Using LabVIEW with DAQmx

Message 3 of 4
(2,728 Views)

Thanks for the helpful follow-up and link!  (The more robust method allows for a longer pulse.  Some PXI chassis models can't propagate the very short "change detect" internal pulse signal (50 nanosec pulse width I think?) to all the slots reliably.)

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,724 Views)