Counter/Timer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequency Measurements with PXI-6289

Hello,

I need to measure frequency of 5 separate devices with the PXI-6289.  On the pinout guide it says " As an input, each PFI terminal can be used to supply an external source for AI, AO, DI, and DO timing signals or counter/timer inputs.", but in the manual it says it only has two counters.  Am I still able to use 5 of the PFI terminals as counters to measure each frequency even though there are only 2 counters?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,390 Views)

Briefly, no.   Not at the same time anyway.

There are many terminals whose signals can be *routed* to the device's counters, but there are only 2 counter modules on the board for doing frequency measurement.

Does your chassis support PXIe?   If so, you might want to consider a dedicated 6612 counter/timer board.  It has 8 counters based on a new design that offers some enhancements over the ones on the 62xx M-series devices.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,307 Views)

Your 5 frequencies are of what frequency range? 

needed update rate?

simultanious measurement needed?

needed freq. resolution?

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,004 Views)