From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Counter/Timer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External digital signal to synchronize sensor sampling

Hello everybody i am new to LabView, DAQmx and Ni Hardware and i am currently trying to set-up a measurment routine for a university project with industrial robots.

I have several sensors which operate in different frequencies and an industrial robot which should be monitored by the sensors.

The robot control is giving out a TTL suqare wave signal of 24V, which i want to use to synchronize the sample rates of all sensors (take a sample of every sensor at the same time). The goal is to sample a measurment of the sensors at every rising and falling edge of the signal in order to have simultaneous measurments which i can process afterwards.

There is a cDAQ 9174 and Ni 9472 and NI 9421which i can use to process the signal and distribute it to the sensors.

Is it possible with this setup to use DAQmx to create an external clock to determine the sample rate? Or is alternating triggering on falling and rising edges somehow possible without high latencies? Or do i need to create a LabView program with a software clock or trigger and accept some latencies due to the processing?

If you could help me or at least give me some hints i would be thankful.

Thanks for your help already.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,000 Views)

I'm not an expert in cDAQ stuff, but in general:

- Most NI devices can get use an external clock signal to drive sample timing.

- You generally need to define the task to be sensitive to *either* rising *or* falling edges of the clock, not both at once.

You might need a specific digital module to enable the use of a 24V clock, I'm not really sure as I mostly use desktop DAQ boards.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,995 Views)