Counter/Timer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6602 counting pulses on all 8 counters

I need to count the number of pulses on 8 lines simultaneously.
Each line will have a burst of 2MHz pulses.

Can I do this on a PCI-6602 or will this need to be a buffered operation that will be limited by the available DMA channels.

Also how many of the 32 digital I/O lines are used by the counters, if I use all 8 counters how many inputs will be left over for digital i/o use.

Any help appreciated

Nick
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,017 Views)
Nick,

Good news -- if you only need a total count for each of the 8 channels, you could perform unbuffered edge counting without requiring any DMA. When the bursts of activity have finished, you simply read the count stored in each counter.

Counters 2-7 share their i/o pins with DIO 8-31. Counters 0 and 1 do not share and DIO 0-7 do not share, so you always have at least 8 DIO lines available for use.

I recall that under traditional NI-DAQ, there were ways to operate DIO on some of the counter lines that weren't needed in their tasks. It took a little care to setup properly, but you may be able to free up a few more DIO that way. Counters 2-7 need their Source pins for their counting tasks, but their Gate and Aux pins should be available though possibly only as inputs. Output pins may also be available, but I'm less sure about that, and they may be restricted to output.

I haven't tried this under DAQmx, but I kinda suspect it might wind up being a bit simpler to setup.

-Kevin P.
CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,012 Views)