From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Continuous Integration

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble using LabVIEWCLI

Hi there,

I started playing a bit with LabVIEW CLI 1.1 but have failed miserably so far Smiley Sad

Starting small, I thought just to have a short pipecleaner masscompiling a directory

LabVIEWCLI -Verbosity Diagnostic -LabVIEWPath "C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2017\LabVIEW.exe" -PortNumber 3364 -OperationName MassCompile -DirectoryToCompile "C:\Test"

LabVIEW launches, but CLI returns with an error. The diagnostic file holds the following information

Using LabVIEW: "C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2017\LabVIEW.exe"
LabVIEW launched successfully.
Error code : -350000
Error message : LabVIEW CLI: (Hex 0xFFFAA8D0) The CLI for LabVIEW failed to establish a connection with LabVIEW. Ensure LabVIEW is running with VI server enabled on the correct port number. To enable VI server in LabVIEW, select "Tools>>Options>>VI Server" and enable the "TCP/IP" checkbox. If the port number under "TCP/IP" is not 3363, you must specify the port number using the "-PortNumber" argument.
An error occurred while running the LabVIEW CLI.

VI Server seems configured correctly

2019-06-13 14_54_06-Options.png

So I thought, I'd try changing the VI Server Port to 3364, just to try

Same thing happens:

LabVIEW launches, an error is reported on the command line, LabVIEW stays open.

To check if VI Server is working correctly, I have used VI Package Manager to verify the connection. This works fine.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Oli

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19
(7,097 Views)

Make sure the Machine Access List allows access for 127.0.0.1, this is necessary to allow the communication between the LabVIEW-CLI and VI Server.

Best Regards,

Stefan Lemmens

Intersoft Electronics

Message 2 of 19
(7,093 Views)

@StefanLemmens wrote:

Make sure the Machine Access List allows access for 127.0.0.1, this is necessary to allow the communication between the LabVIEW-CLI and VI Server.

Best Regards,

Stefan Lemmens

Intersoft Electronics

Thanks for the tip. Added 127.0.0.1 explicitely yet it does not help in this case.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19
(7,090 Views)

Another problem might be that the LabVIEW CLI won't start VI Server fast enough.

You can find more info here.

I got it to work with these settings:

AppExitTimeout = 10000
OpenAppReferenceTimeoutInSecond = 30.000000
AfterLaunchOpenAppReferenceTimeoutInSecond = 90.000000

Due to this we switched from using the LabVIEW-CLI to G-CLI

Best Regards,

Stefan Lemmens

Intersoft Electronics

Message 4 of 19
(7,088 Views)

Ok.... so I raised the time-outs as described. Error remains.

I shall try on a different computer outside the corporate enviroment... maybe there is some strange group policy which keeps this from working. Wouldn't be for the first time....

Thanks for the input!

Oli

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(7,079 Views)

Just noticed in your screenshot that the portnumber (3363) doesn't match the one in your command line (3364).

Best Regards,

Stefan Lemmens

Intersoft Electronics

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(7,073 Views)

@StefanLemmens wrote:

Just noticed in your screenshot that the portnumber (3363) doesn't match the one in your command line (3364).

Best Regards,

Stefan Lemmens

Intersoft Electronics

Hi Stefan,

you're right. The code and the screen shot don't match: took the screen shot while experimenting.

BTW: tried at home last night on a VM with LV2018: worked smoothly. Next step will be to set up a VM with LV2017 and check again.

Cheers

Oli

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19
(7,054 Views)

Hi Oli,

how smooth is "smoothly"?

I still have a very long delay (more then 30sec) between running the command and LabVIEW actually doing something.

Best Regards,

Stefan Lemmens

Intersoft Electronics

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19
(7,043 Views)

Hi Stefan,

smooth as in it is working on that particular VM using the standard parameters of the CLI INI file.

But: this is a LabVIEW only installation. No toolkits like RT or FPGA installed.

But speaking of slow spinup.... I remember having had troubles with an old version of the SVN Toolkit when opening large projects. Don't know if this is still the case.

BR

Oli

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(7,041 Views)

Did you download the CLI from the web? Do you need to 'unblock' it in the exe properties?

Of course, it may be that you need to unblock the executable on your firewall...your IT policy might only allow signed/whitelisted executables to have network access on certain ports.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19
(6,845 Views)