From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Components

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JTAG Digital Waveform Library

Hello David,

I'm now building a schematic for my new PCIe-6535. This testcase is a simple SPI bus expander, to test the SPI emulating. I still haven't looked in the programming/software behind the 6535 or behind the SDW/JDW lib's.

Can you tell me, when I use a device as the PCIe-6535 for emulating JTAG/SPI with the SDW JDW reference designs, should I then connect all lines (SCK,SI,SO,CS) to the Dig IO channels, or do I need to use the so called PFI channels as well?

Since your bit-banging I would guess you need only DIO?

Kind regards

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 45
(11,033 Views)
Yes, the DIO channels are used for the bus signals. (The PFI lines are all static, so they can't be used.)
David Staab, CLA
Staff Systems Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 45
(11,029 Views)

In the Serial Protocol Communication Reference Design for Digital Waveform Devices document, it mentions, "During the Initialization sequence, configure the device's Hardware Compare engine to operate in "Stimulus and Expected Response" mode." There is a graphic showing the niHSDIO property node with the attribute "HardwareCompare.Mode" and there is an enum feeding it set to "Stimulus and Expected Result". Where is that attribute? I can't find it. I'm using LV 2009 and NI HSDIO 1.7.2.

I do see an attribute for "Supported Data States" which I can set to HWC mode which allows for 0, 1, Z, L, H, and X on the stimulus and response. Is that the same as setting the Hardware.Compare.Mode?

thx,

-marcus

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 45
(10,452 Views)

Hi marcus -

Yes, they're the same thing. It looks like the properties were changed in a recent version. You can see in the context help for that property that it's used to configure the device for Hardware Compare mode.

Since it looks like you work at NI too -- you have a blue icon next to your name -- just call my extension or email me if you have any more questions. Smiley Wink

David Staab, CLA
Staff Systems Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 45
(10,448 Views)

In the LV 8.6 package, the JDW Get IDCODE.vi example has an error in comment text on the block diagram.

It says:  "1. Initialize the waveform, preallocating samples in memory.  If desired, begin by clocking in five 0's on the TMS line to initialize the device to the TEST-LOGIC-RESET state"

Clocking five 1's will reset to TEST-LOGIC-RESET.  This is what the example actually does - so the '0' should simply be replace with a '1'.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 45
(10,224 Views)

Hi all

I was wondering if there is a way to send JTAG Digital Waveforms generated by LabVIEW into a parallel port or USB port.  I know that there is a way to use DAQmx devices with JTAG Digital Waveforms where DAQmx drivers take JTAG Digital Waveforms and transfer that into physical signals which is then send to UUT.  I really am in a need to try to mimic whatever a DAQmx can do to make that happen with a parallel port or usb port. I would really appreciate if you can help me it is very urgent. Also I would really appreciate if there is another cheaper device or a way that can replace DAQmx so I can send those JTAG signals to my UUT. By the way I am using LV8.6.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 45
(10,058 Views)

Hi Everyone,

I wanna know, if "JTAG Digital Waveform Reference Library" cna be used with R-Series cards (specifically PXI-78XXR series).

And the main concern is to implement/establish communication using JTAG interface (IEEE 1149.1).

Please help me with the issue.

--

Thanx and Regards

I am not allergic to Kudos, in fact I love Kudos.

Make your LabVIEW experience more CONVENIENT.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 45
(9,807 Views)

Hi moderator -

As explained in the Serial Protocol Communication whitepaper, JDW is designed to work only with vector waveform devices like NI DAQ and HSDIO. It does not work with RIO (R-series, FlexRIO, cRIO) devices.

David Staab, CLA
Staff Systems Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 45
(9,800 Views)

Thank you David for your reply....

Could you guide me, I've PXI 7833R and want to implement JTAG interface to perform 'Boundary Scanning', is there any knowledge base or example or case study.....?

I am not allergic to Kudos, in fact I love Kudos.

Make your LabVIEW experience more CONVENIENT.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 45
(9,793 Views)

Hi Christian,

Thanks for the JTAG Digital Waveform Library. Really it reduces the protocol development time drastically.

I am using your example VI called HSDIO JTAG - Core Features.vi to generate JTAG signals TCK, TMS, TDI and TRST and acquire JTAG signals TCK, TMS, TDI, TDO and TRST  with HSDIO PXI 6552 card. I have the following question in the above example. 

What is the meaning of the following control JTAG channels in the example. JTAG Example Control.png

Can I expect TCK in channel 0, TMS in channel 1, TDI in channel 2, and TDO in channel 3 of the HSDIO card. Otherwise please suggest me how to map the JTAG channels with HSDIO channels. 

I am using the same JTAG channels configuration for my program but I am getting

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 45
(9,696 Views)