Complete the following steps to create an IVI configuration for a third-party, IVI-compliant switch.
NI Switch Executive uses IVI driver sessions and/or IVI logical names as a way to communicate with all IVI-compliant switches. For NI Switch Executive to recognize a third-party switch, you must create an IVI configuration.
Before beginning with this tutorial, please verify that your third party drivers have been downloaded and installed according to the instrument driver vendor's instructions.
Create a Driver Session
1. Launch Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX).
2. Expand IVI Drivers.
3. Right-click Driver Sessions.
4. Select Create New (case-sensitive).
The default name is "NewDriverSession#" but can be changed to accurately describe your device model.
5. Select the General tab in the window that appears on the right.
6. Edit the driver setup string as needed. You may need to modify the driver setup string to specify appropriate topology information.
Refer to your instrument driver vendor for more information.
7. Select the Hardware tab.
8. Select the hardware in the Hardware Assets window.
(Optional) Click the Add and Remove buttons to add and remove hardware assets.
9. Edit the resource descriptor as needed. Refer to the instrument driver vendor for information about specifying the resource descriptor.
10. Select the Software tab.
11. Select the IVI driver for the switch from the Software Module drop-down menu.
Note If the software module does not appear in the drop-down menu, verify that the latest driver versions have been installed and then contact the instrument driver vendor for additional troubleshooting steps.
12. Cycle through the tabs and make any additional changes where appropriate.
13. Click on the NI Switch Executive taskbar to save the changes.
Create a Logical Name
1. Under IVI Drivers in the MAX tree, right-click Logical Names.
2. Select Create New (case-sensitive). A window appears on the right.
The default name is "NewLogicalName#" but can be changed to accurately describe your device.
3. In the Driver Session drop-down menu, select the driver session you just created for your switch.
4. Click on the NI Switch Executive taskbar to save the changes.
Create a NI Switch Executive Device
1. Under Devices and Interfaces in the MAX tree, right-click NI Switch Executive Virtual Devices.
2. Select Create New. The Create New Switch Executive Virtual Device Wizard appears.
3. Select the IVI driver that you just created for your switch.
4. Click the to make the association.
5. Once you have associated your switch, click Next >
6. The Create New Switch Executive Virtual Device Wizard automatically configures your switch.
If an error occurs, verify that the configuration information was correctly entered and saved according to this document. After confirming that all of the steps were followed appropriately, if the error continues contact ni.com/support.
7. Click Finish
Steps to Implement or Execute Code
Requirements to Run
NI Switch Executive
1. IVI compliant switch module
Product Manager for Product Data National Instruments