From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Community Documents

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install Guide for Raspberry Pi + LabVIEW 2014 + MakerHub-LINX

Install guide for Raspberry Pi 2/3, LabVIEW2014 Home Bundle, and associated software. The steps covered in the guide are:

• Set up the RPi.
  • Install LabVIEW 2014 Home Bundle.
  • Install NI-VISA.
  • Install Control and Design Simulation Module.
  • Install MathScript RT Module.
  • Install JKI VIPM.
  • Add the LabVIEW MakerHub LINX package to LabVIEW using JKI VIPM.
  • Configure the RPi to use MakerHub LINX , and run a simple example where an LED connected to the RPi can be turned on or off using LabVIEW.
  • A brief section about using the NI License Manager at a later date to activate NI software.

From the intro:

This install guide outlines a step-by-step process for installing LabVIEW 2014 Home Bundle and the LabVIEW MakerHub LINX package for use with the Raspberry Pi (RPi). The flow has been tested on an RPi 3 Model B, but it should also work for an RPi 2 Model B; note that these are the only two RPi models which are supported by the MakerHub package. The following points are also important to note in using this guide:

1. The RPi is using a MicroSD card preloaded with NOOBs, as this is the quickest way to get up and running. Raspian Jessie is the default RPi OS in the version of NOOBS used in the guide. If you're not using NOOBS, you will likely have to carry out additional steps which are not covered in the text.
  2. The remote access client PuTTY will be used to interface with the RPi. If you have a keyboard/mouse/monitor combination connected to the RPi, however, you do not need to use PuTTY.
  3. LabVIEW 2014 32-bit is the only LabVIEW version supported for RPi, and the very good value Home Bundle is used in this guide. In the EU, this can be sourced here; in the US it can sourced here. Note that you will generally only be buying an activation code; the software can be downloaded as detailed in the document. Alternatively, engineers who already have support accounts with National Instruments may be able to source the Home Bundle via their usual sales channels.
  4. The guide assumes that you already have the License Code for LabVIEW 2014 Home Bundle (obtained via the sources listed in the previous point). It is also permissible  to install the program for evaluation purposes (30-days), and purchase a license code at a later date. The program can then be officially activated using the code.
  5. The license for the Home Bundle also covers the use of the Control and Simulation module and the MathScript module. Installation of these tools is covered in the guide.
  6. The MakerHub LINX package is installed via the JKI VI Package Manager, which has become the defacto standard for installing LabVIEW addons.
  7. The host PC in the guide is running Win 7 64-bit. The install steps may be different for other operating systems. As I understand it, Mac or Linux systems are not currently supported with LabVIEW-LINX.

Note if you have any issues during the installation procedure, the MakerHub forums will likely be a better place to get answers. I'm only good for when things go right!

Comments
mcusir
on

Thank you for your great work!

billko
Proven Zealot
Proven Zealot
on

When I try to expand the partition, the whole install just hangs.  I think this is due to NOOBS making a zillion partitions and confusing the installer.

I was able to get it up and running by ignoring that option and just installing it.  However, the installer then hangs at reboot.  I've heard that the Pi actually does reboot, but I use Tera Term to log in and reboot it manually anyway.

I'm curious to know exactly what was wrong with my setup, because it would seem that the people with both a NOOBS installation and issues like mine are in the minority.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
DMurrayIRL
on

I was going to point you to the MakerHub forums, but I see you've already posted about this problem over there. I'm something of a Linux beginner, so I don't know how to help with the partition issue. For the record, I carried out the installation procedure on two NOOBs RPi's, and didn't have any issues. But that part of the installation (Section 9 in the document) is the one area where problems are most likely to occur, because the LINX-install wizard could do with some improvement (imo). A step-by-step wizard would be better, with more feedback to the user about what is happening at any given point. For example, it often appears like the installation has stalled, but that might just be because some steps seem to take a really long time.

Sorry I don't have more to offer on the problem you saw, though.

billko
Proven Zealot
Proven Zealot
on

Not a problem at all.  It's probably some combination of things that will make it really difficult to troubleshoot. 

Thanks for responding so quickly.

Bill

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Boone301
on

Hi all,

How can I run appliation on raspberry with interface from LabVIEW?

Boone

Thanks

Lawrence.li
on

How can I run appliation on raspberry with interface from LabVIEW?

Contributors