Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ultiboard IDF Converter UB 12 compatability?

Hi Folks,

I tried to use the Ultiboard IDF Converter.  The help file says it works OK with UB 10. 

I installed it on a Win7 64bit machine and when I ran it I got an error that appeard to indicate it was having trouble with a file write permissions.

Tried to uninstall it, but couldn't find it listed in programs and features, nor could I find uninstall info in the start menu folder.  Nice. 

Tried installing and running in Windows Virtual PC, Win XP Mode.  Seems to work better there, but still doesn't do well with my exports from UB 12.

I can't imagine that the export files generated in UB12 are any much different from what's exported from UB 10.

Has anyone else messed with it using UB 12 and had success?

Regards,

Who
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,674 Views)

Who Knew,

We have not built the IDF Converter tool for a Win7 64 environment (as it was built with a previous version of LabVIEW that did not support Win7) nor have we tested it with the newest UB v12 release.

We will try to run some tests and see if the code will easily port and build to a new LabVIEW build.   This will take us a few days, possibly up to a week to accomplish and to properly diagnose.   I hope this time frame is adequate for you as there are many competing priorities but this will be the best I can do short term (the tool is not a sellable 'product', its just a utility that I created and so it falls outside the normal R&D build cycle).

If this will assist in your design tasks I have no problem attempting a new build in an attempt to support UB v12 and possibly the Win7 64 environment.   I will keep you posted.

Pat N

Message 2 of 8
(4,655 Views)

Hi Pat,

I understand completely.  Thanks for putting some time on it when you can. 

After putting the IDF converter in virtual WinXP, and it no longer gave me the file permission error, I had a hunch about why I was getting that in Win 7. 

I used another program (Spybot Search & Destroy) to figure out the uninstallation command for the IDF converter that I put in win 7, uninstalled it, then reinstalled it in the root directory (in other words, outside of the program files directory). That seemed to solve the file write permissions error I was getting.

At this point, it will work with the sample input files that come with the install, so I know it will run in Win7 (outside of the sacred programfiles directory).  And, when I use a sample PCB design that comes with UB12 to generate the input files for the IDF converter, I get the same problem as when I use my own PCB design to generate the input files for the IDF converter.  That makes me think there's something about the way that UB12 generates exports that's now different than previous versions.  Or, perhaps more likely, the way the export files get saved in Win 7 make the files appear different somehow to the IDF converter.

I hope this is helpful.  Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help out.

Regards,

Who
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,651 Views)

Who Knew,

Yes since Vista and Win7 strict file limitations are now a big issue going forward with software development and only special locations such as the User directory are allowed.  So obviously this will need to be updated.   But you are correct, there are likely some other formatting issues between UB10/11 and UB12 that need to be addressed to make this tool work properly.

I'll see what I can do in a 1 week time frame and if it will be more involved I'll let you know.

Regards,

Pat N

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,647 Views)

Who Knew,

Just wanted to give you an update...  I'm working with the IDF Ultiboard converter code in a new LabVIEW version and will be updating the file settings to accommodate the new file location standards.   I am also looking at the updated export to determine if anything has changed in Ultiboard v11 or v12.

Should have something shortly.

Regards,

Pat N

Message 5 of 8
(4,605 Views)

OK, good.  Thanks for the update.  I'm looking forward to seeing this work.

Regards,

Who
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,589 Views)

Hi , I too cannot export my ultiboard 12 designs to 3D Creo elements in this case.

operating system is window 7 64 bit

is this isseu being solved in the near future??

It would be realy helpfull and a big plus for NI ultiboard in this era of mechatronics.

regards.Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,503 Views)

Any progress on this front? I too would like to use the IDF converter for Ultiboard 12 on Windows 7.

Message 8 of 8
(4,468 Views)