Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the name of the design pattern in ATM (100528-01) LV2013

Solved!
Go to solution

I did the Advanced Architectures in LabVIEW a while ago and have decided to start studying for the CLA.

The design pattern in  ATM (100528-01) looks very intuitive but having gone back through the AAL course, it doesn't seem to be covered in it directly. 

atm.png

Is there a name for the above method of splitting out the system into its constituent parts and using QDMH FGs for messaging? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,731 Views)

Anyone know if this is the correct forum for these type of questions?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,629 Views)
Solution
Accepted by SeanJ

Hi Sean,

If this is the old solution, I don't have the solution in front of me at the moment, then my explanation below stands. If it is a newer version of the solution, you will have to add a picture of what each module looks like inside. 

I believe that solution to the exam was based on LabVIEW Component Oriented Design (LCOD). This was pioneered by Jon Conway and Steve Watts in their book Software Engineering Approach to LabVIEW

In the LabVIEW community the design pattern used for each module is known as an Action Engine, Jon and Steve call them components. The LabVIEW Help calls them Functional Global Variables. The reason the community calls them Action Engines is that, as Ben points out, they do more than "set" and "get". When an FGV only does set and get, it is acting only as a functional global, when it does more than that, it is an action engine.

Although LCOD and Action Engines were more in favor before LVOOP came into existence, they still are very useful. There are occasions that components are all you need.

Regards,

Fab

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
Message 3 of 5
(3,626 Views)

Thanks Fabiola,

That's genuinely really helpful Smiley Happy  

Do you know if still acceptable to use LCOD in the CLA or are we expected to use actor framework?

S

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,620 Views)

@SeanJ wrote:

Thanks Fabiola,

That's genuinely really helpful Smiley Happy  

Do you know if still acceptable to use LCOD in the CLA or are we expected to use actor framework?

S

Sean,

What architecture you use for your exam is not as important as having an architecture that meets the exam requirements. I know plenty of people who have passed the exam without using the Actor Framework or even LVOOP. 

Also, remember that they are not looking for a completely functional application. When I coach people I tell them:

"If you have broken arrow in the CLD exam, there is a good chance you will fail.

If you have running arrow in the CLA exam, there is a good chance you will fail."

Focus your efforts on preparing an architecture that can solve the sample exams and prepare a strategy for managing your requirements coverage. Read the exam preparation guide, there are good tips in there.

Regards,

Fab

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
Message 5 of 5
(3,612 Views)