From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Certification

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sample Exam Solutions for Review

Hello all

I'd be grateful if anyone has a moment to glance through my attached exam solution. Boiler2.vi is the correct VI to run. In the exam I would have deleted the Boiler.vi as this went wrong - I  decided to leave it to learn from the mistakes...

This is my second attempt and I found it much harder than the ATM sample exam. My instinct is to prevent access to buttons which have no current function, hence I originally decided to use an event structure, but this made the task much more complicated. My learning from this is that I should keep the solution very simple (to achieve it within the time limit) and to document my concerns on the BD. Is that valid?

Thanks in advance

Ray

0 Kudos
Message 481 of 623
(5,559 Views)

Hello all

I am hoping to take the exam in a week. I would be grateful if someone could take a quick look at the attached and advise on any issues. 

Thanks for your time.

Ray

0 Kudos
Message 482 of 623
(5,485 Views)

@Radiator 

Did you write that in LV8.6? If you're going somewhere to take the exam, you'll probably get LV17 or LV18. That is quite a gab.

0 Kudos
Message 483 of 623
(5,482 Views)

Hi 

No I wrote it in LV 2017 but saved as 8.6 for this thread.

0 Kudos
Message 484 of 623
(5,479 Views)

Hello all

Here it is in LabvIEW 2017. I think the placement of the comments is the main change.

Thanks

Ray

0 Kudos
Message 485 of 623
(5,450 Views)

@Radiator wrote:

Here it is in LabvIEW 2017. I think the placement of the comments is the main change.

-1 for not spelling LabVIEW correctly Smiley Very Happy

Your main case has a default. I'd remove the default, as you want a broken wire when a case is added.

In  "Select next zone" the "Current zone index" doesn't connect. The wire probably got dislocated after a resize. That's a big one...

Why use a case in "Wait for user input"? A Selector would be better. Same for the true case "Select next zone" state. Same for "Rain" and "Wait for user input" state. (Probably faster)

If you'd put "Zone Setup Array" above "Current zone index" you'd lose a few wire crossings. Same for "Status indicators" and "Zone indicators". (Very minor)

Sub VI "Load from CSV File" might use a tiny bit more documentation.(Minor)

This VI is not required to be wired to Default values.reinit to default. (Probably faster, use CRTL+Space, type "VI", then CTRL+B to set it to VI)

The wiring could be a bit tighter here and there (the Booleans in the North, East, South, West case). (Minor)

Only tested functionality briefly. It seems to hit all marks.

All in all a good and very simple solution. I'm not sure if they require\expect the use of an event structure? I wonder if they like solutions without event structures. It's a bit old school (LV4-5 style). They might assume\expect solutions with parallel loops, like a producer\consumer.

For me personally, the simpler the solution the better. You reduced the problem to the bare minimum, which is great in my book (less is more). I'd personally remove all those constants to set tunnels to their defaults, but for CLD you might actually loose points for doing that.

Message 486 of 623
(5,446 Views)

Hi wiebe@CARYA

Thanks for the comments - this is brilliant feedback. I have gone through them line by line and rejigged my implementation. Thanks for taking the time!

Ray

0 Kudos
Message 487 of 623
(5,438 Views)

@Radiator wrote:

Thanks for the comments - this is brilliant feedback. I have gone through them line by line and rejigged my implementation. Thanks for taking the time!

You're welcome. I think normally you'd get more responses, but (I think) last weekend was thanksgiving. So 95% of the USA is eating and presumably drinking.

0 Kudos
Message 488 of 623
(5,433 Views)

Hi All,

I gave the carwash exam a go using the LCOD architecture from the ATM example in LabVIEW 2017.

I'm hoping to take the exam soon, so feedback would be appreciated.  Also, would be good to know if I am crazy for using LCOD and whether Actor is more or less a prerequisite.

Thanks, 

Seán

0 Kudos
Message 489 of 623
(5,295 Views)

LCOD is new to me... Figured it didn't mean Leading Causes Of Death, as the dictionary suggests. I'll have a look

Why not OO instead of OO-light?

Message 490 of 623
(5,292 Views)